Pasta Carbonara

Joined Jan 4, 2011
I'm on a trip with pasta lately. This is my second of the last week. I call it "Pasta Carbonara" because I don't use a long pasta like spaghetti. I like shapes. For this dish I used fusilli. Here it is ... I hope you like it.

Last edited:
Joined Jan 4, 2011
These are the ingredients for the "true" dish. ... Very simple. Originally it calls for guanciale, but based on price and availability I went with capicola.
19.jpg
These are what I added to jack it up. As I tell others ... "You don't have to like it ... You can eat somewhere else if you choose.".
18.jpg
Yeah ... the prosciutto might be overkill. But again ... it's My dish. Romano is the cheese of the area this dish comes from, but I 50/50'd it with parmesan based on the overall saltiness of the flavors involved.

Last edited:
Joined Jan 4, 2011
I minced the capicola and rendered it in a med-hot pan. As it was it was very lean and I had to add some oil. The rendered fat is necessary for it's flavor. I got it pretty colorful. ... Fat is flavor ... color is flavor.

Joined Jan 4, 2011
While rendering the capicola I prepped the additional relish. Minced shallot, basil, parsley and sweet red pepper. I just sliced the grape tomatoes in half.
This all got put into a bowl and pushed to the side.
15.jpg 13.jpg 14.jpg 11.jpg 12.jpg

Last edited:
Joined Jan 4, 2011
After rendering the capicola and removing it and it's fat from the pan I sizzled the prosciutto into crisps. This is a great condiment. I'll be using this much more in the future. I can't figure out why, but prosciutto is considerably cheaper than serrano-ham ... and I can't really see or taste any difference. ... YMMV though.
9.jpg

Joined Jan 4, 2011
Once again like with my last "corn" dish I ran the extra condiments quickly through the grease to capitalize on the flavor that I wasn't gonna waste. This also deglazed the pan. 8.jpg

Last edited:
Joined Jan 4, 2011
I used one(1) whole egg and four(4) yolks. 7.jpg
To this I added the cheese (+/- 2-cups), the capicola and fresh ground pepper.
6.jpg
I mixed the bageebies out of this in a glass bowl.
5.jpg

Joined Jan 4, 2011
I tempered this mixture over the pot cooking the pasta somewhat like using a bain marie. This pretty much takes away almost all chances of goofing things up. I said "almost". I worked with some clowns that goofed up filling a dish-pit with water.
4.jpg

Joined Jan 4, 2011
Pull out the pasta using a good amount of water to loosen things up ... dump it in the bowl with the egg-meat-cheese combination ... mix like crazy LOL ... and you're good to go. 3.jpg

Joined Jan 4, 2011
This is My way ... with the added condiments. ... And a nice chianti.
1.jpg

"... We work in kitchens. ... it ain'te rocket surgery.".

Joined Oct 31, 2012
That looks delicious. I'd try it both ways but I think I'd prefer it with extra condiments. With an Italian market around the corner I may have to do this soon.

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
Nice job! I never thought of tempering. I just hoped with a big H that the eggs will be cooked.

Also I just want to say in Chicago you have so many beautiful Italian markets also.

Joined Jan 4, 2011
french fries french fries ... Have you ever seen the jewelry that people put on their wine glasses to signify which is theirs? ... I've lost way too many of those. The little tape-tag doesn't go anywhere and it's cheaper.

Joined Jan 4, 2011
kuan kuan ... The "tempering" is more for relieving the possibility of making scrambled-eggs than for making sure they are cooked. The temperature of the pasta and it's water is more than enough to cook the eggs. ... Turning this into some kind of Chinese dish after scrambling the eggs is not so much fun.

Joined Jan 4, 2011
chefwriter chefwriter ... Some people just gotta have dishes as "authentic" as possible. Some places in Chicago won't put ketchup on a hot-dog even if you ask for it. I always put the bowl of the relish on the table and let people make their own decisions. There have been old "Mustache Pete" types that will push it away or even have me take it off the table. ... They do of course ask for it back later with some crusty-bread and oil. They never catch that I charge them for it when that happens. These are the same guys that talk about having me hit for making better desserts than the mothers/grandmothers (cannolis and/or tiramisu). They can't get enough of the < $5/bttl. wine that I serve them. I charge them cost for it and take off the labels. I don't have any of those wicker baskets though.

Top Bottom