Passover

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by kylew, Mar 19, 2002.

1. kylew

kylew

Exp:
    Home Chef
    I have been invited to a Seder. I don't want to show up empty handed so I thought I would bring some baked goods. As an Episcopalian type person I am unaware of the traditions, rules and regulations of baking for Passover. Anyone care to enlighten me?

2. m brown

m brown

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    find out how the host feels about food gifts. traditional passover baked goods contain no leavening, lots of matzo meal and no dairy. find out what you can bring! some hosts are not strict with their meal and others are very.
    enjoy!

3. kylew

kylew

Exp:
    Home Chef
    I'm hoping, that since the hostess is an instructor at I.C.E, she feels OK about food gifts :) For my purposes, I really want to bake things that follow the rules.

4. compassrose

compassrose

I have heard (from strict friends) that some people will not eat anything come from a kitchen they don't know... whether or not the actual ingredients are safe or not. I think there are rules about purifying utensils and such for Passover too.

According to the same strict friends, if you want to bring food gifts for Passover that can be enjoyed by all, you are better to go to a deli or something and bring something bought that has been officially certified.

5. kylew

kylew

Exp:
    Home Chef
    I know of kosher homes that have 2 sets of dishes and even 2 dishwashers. I have checked and my host is not that strict. I would doubt that she would even object to flour in the baked goods. I think it would be nice to honor tradition, as well as expand my baking horizon, by baking according to the rules.

6. caisa

caisa

I think it's really nice to invite goyim to pesach dinner. It's really a very special holiday for us.

I won't go into all the different rules of the kashrut and history of religious holidays...

try:

www.jewfaq.org

lots of great info and links!

7. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    Hey, Kyle! Unfortunately, what you do best (yeast breads) is exactly what is prohibited for Passover. NO LEAVENING!!!!! Breads are really limited to matzo, which is not much fun to try to make. Everything (mixing, shaping, baking) has to be done within 18 minutes, to be really kosher. (18 = "life" in Hebrew).

However: how's your spongecake? If you can do a really good one, or a cake using a nut flour and eggs, it is sure to be a hit. The worst memories I have from my childhood are of my mother's attempts at Passover cake-baking. Everything always came out like lead sinkers. Including her "Passover bagels" which resembled the real thing only in shape. Relatives loved them, but ... :rolleyes:

In the non-baking realm, spring vegetables are a welcome addition to the Passover table. Roasted asparagus, perhaps?

If all else fails, I'll bet you can find a good shop with decent kosher-for-passover wines.

8. kylew

kylew

Exp:
    Home Chef
    I know! they've taken my best club out of my bag :) And no dairy either. I think this is going to be fun!

9. athenaeus

athenaeus

Exp:
    At home cook
    I don't know how the Jews of NYork are but the ones of Israel do not have double dish-washers etc etc they are very friendly and open minded :)

Kyle

What about bringing to them what your mom made or your grandmother or someone from your family.

Prepare it, write the recipe to a nice piece of paper and the story of the ...bread. They must feel flatered for sharing something so personal like the family tradition.

Dare this. I insist :)

10. kylew

kylew

Exp:
    Home Chef
    Perhaps a flourless chocolate cake in the form of a crucifix? With I.N.R.I in white icing? Are you trying to get me thrown out ? :D

It's good to have you back Athenaeus :)

11. athenaeus

athenaeus

Exp:
    At home cook
    HAHAHAHAHA :lol:

Thanks Kyle, I had a bad day, I needed that !!!

12. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    dacquise with a parve chocolate....
    I'm making flourless chocolate cake for the orthodox student I've been cooking with for 3 years.
    Holidays are really funky....there are alot of traditions with passover, don't be offended if food is declined. It's religious.
    Great that you got invited, it's a special time for families.

13. breadster**

breadster**

hi kyle-

i agree with all that has been said-and there are so many varying degrees of observance

however, even the most non-religious-non-practising(sp?) Jews
    will not have anything with flour or leavening in the house during the week of Passover- especially if they are having a seder

they wont be able to serve or eat it - if you bring something
    "leavened"

at our bakery we do four things that are a big hit at Passover

Flourless chocolate cake
    Filled nut tortes
    Coconut macaroons (thanks everyone for your suggestions)
    French macaroons

for example, both our flourless and nut tortes called for a bit of flour- we substitute more ground nuts and potato starch to make up the difference

most of our customers are happy that there is no flour

corn starch and corn syrup are also no no' s

there are certain wines that are "Kosher for Passover"-

good luck and enjoy! a traditonal seder is very interesting and delicious!

14. kylew

kylew

Exp:
    Home Chef
    I have been informed by my host that flour is out but dairy is OK.

I have an ameretti that's nothing but almond paste, sugar and egg whites. Also a meringue cookie that is just sugar and egg whietes. I'm gonna take a serious run at the flourless chocolate cake.

15. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Everyone here has offered great advice, and I truly think, Kyle, that your choices are excellent. It's better to use recipes that simply don't require flour, than to try to experiment and alter existing recipes.

Incidentally, if you wanted to take the meringue idea a step further, you could doll it up with whipped cream and fruit (since dairy is allowed):lips: And that'll go well with the cake too!

16. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Kyle,
    I was in your shoes a couple of years back. I went with a few small thing like you are thinking. amaretties,meringues, I added and rolled ground nuts and all that.
    I must tell you from what I experienced was not food or material things, their intention was to just arrive with me. This was one of a couple of things I will always remember. After leaving their home I can never recall being so honored to be invited and be a part of their beliefs. Sorry mushy. Have a great time.

17. kylew

kylew

Exp:
    Home Chef
    I am beginning to appreciate the honor that is being invited to someone's home for Passover. Even though I have been given The Dairy Exemption, I am going to try and stick close to the rules. Nick Malgieri has several different macaroons in his cookie book. One is a coffee flavored sandwich with ganache in between.
    For the main dessert, everywhere I look I see flourless chocolate cake. Have Jews across America been limited to this for centuries?:) Anybody have an alternative?

18. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Worse than flourless chocolate cake, Jews have settled for kosher for Passover cake mixes, which are usually dry and bland. It wasn't until recent years that many began to realize there ARE other choices out there.

19. risa

risa

You can also check out the . Marcie Goldman usually has some very good recipes. One of her current topics is "Chocolate Saves Seder."

20. kylew

kylew

Exp:
    Home Chef
    At recipesource.com , which used to be SOAR, I found a Chocolate Espresso Torte. Eggs, margarine, chocolate, sugar and brewed espresso. No almond flour or matzoh meal! Looks more like a cross between a custard and a cheese cake than a faux cake. They also had a passover mandelbrot which looks like fun.

I've read that kosher margarine is ok, even if The Dairy Ban is in effect. Is this true?

Thanks Risa, I'll check it out.