Part Two of: FINNISH THIS RECIPE

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by keeperofthegood, Mar 25, 2005.

1. keeperofthegood

keeperofthegood

HEY OH

Remember this one?

Well, I am back for a little boo about the site, and thought, this would be a good time to reprise this idea with a part two.

SO, without any more ado:

4 pounds turkey wings (or backs and necks -- not the "good" cut of the bird)
    2 pounds chickpeas
    2 pounds okra
    3 Naval oranges (just for the left curve)

FINNISH THIS RECIPE

2. cod and chips

cod and chips

Is There Any Other Ingredients Or Just What You Have Said?

3. keeperofthegood

keeperofthegood

Hey oh

Within reason. The list is the "focus" of the finnished recipe. How they are assembled is the challenge.

The idea on this particular one is along the lines of a poor mans dinner. I do not believe that in order to cook a fine dish, you need to start with skinless boneless Turkey breast (which run around 10 dollars a kilo). Wings are very meaty and tastey (and are arround 3 dollars a kilo), and I will do them a few ways.

However, that is the idea.... so, if you want to add say... peach schnapps with some cream cheese and geletin to the oranges ... :D

This challenge is a fun "think outside the box" type of thing. I am hopeing that in time others will also start trying to offer their own challenges. Its a change from the "how do I cook fillintheblank" to "Ok, you have fillintheblank how would you cook it?"

If you have any other questions, just PM me :D

Keeps

4. pgram

pgram

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Boy,

I could rock with the turkey wings and navel oranges, but the chickpeas and okra have me stumped.:(

5. keeperofthegood

keeperofthegood

LOL

And that is what makes it interesting :D

Actually, had I said kidney beans, or, as they are also known, Red Beans, I am sure you'd find many dishes in the US south. I didn't want to go the route more traveled though. Also, I set my chick peas to soaking before looking in the freezer for what to thaw. All that was there was the Turkey wings. The okra simply had to be used rather than being wasted. So......

(ok, only because this needs a little kick in the...)
    I roasted the wings, made a chickpea gravy (simmered in the jus and then pulsed with an immersion blender(I could also have removed half the peas and fully pured them too, and added that back to the remaining peas). Lots of texture to the gravy), and pan fried the okra. Served the oranges in wedges on a side plate. (however, the idea of the cream cheese and geletin is squiggling around the back of my head :))

My next will be beef neck bones and something equally left curved :D

6. pgram

pgram

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Well that being said, here's what I would do:

Make a brine using the zest from the oranges, the juice from the oranges, chicken stock, cinnamon, cloves, a little salt and some peppercorns. Place the wings in the brine overnight. In the morning, I'd take the turkey wings out of the brine and smoke them in my WSM for about 3 hours using apple and pecan wood.

I would cook the chic peas and puree them with roasted garlic, thinned with some chicken stock and add rosemary and some orange zest.

The okra I would coat in a mixture of tempura batter with Bruce's Sweet Potato Pancake Mix and deep fry.

How's that? :D
    P.S. You didn't say when it had to be eaten. Obviously this would a meal for the next day if your scrounging items out of the frig.

7. keeperofthegood

keeperofthegood

OMG!

That sounds awsome :D

Yes, my list was inspired by a fridge scroung, but for this, consuption time isn't criticle.

I find it becomes my more creative times, and sometimes I do come up with some interesting things. Last night it was my interpretation of tex-mex. I mixed 2/3 to 1/3 flour to chilli powder and breaded my wings and roasted them, I served this with a rice pilaf with onions celery and roasted red peppers and a bit of paprika and pepper and thyme.

And there are times I just "cook it till its done" lol.

Good contrebution indeed!

8. pgram

pgram

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Thanks!

Do you cook for others or just for yourself? I have to cook dinners for my daughter and her dad. My daughter is okay to cook for as long as it's not spicy, but her dad is strictly meat, potatoes, corn or carrots.:( My daughter loves blue cheese, most vegetables and is the only one I can get to eat sushi with me.

As a result, the only time I can really be creative is if I head over to my parents' house and cook for them. Although, gotta watch that as well! My dad has super high cholesterol even though he doesn't eat red meat, any dairy and watches the label on anything purchased in a store. Except for the fried okra (unless I did it in grapeseed oil or olive oil), my dad could eat what I just made up above. I've learned to cook healthy stuff that tastes good by using a lot of herbs and spices. ;)

9. keeperofthegood

keeperofthegood

Hehe, actually a little of both too.

I am, sadly, the only real lover of lamb in the family. My daughter likes Shropshire Blue cheese, and my son loves Gorganzola cheese. My wife can't stand either. Everyone likes sausages and most salamies. My daughter has a better appreciation of spicey foods than my son. My son likes the acidic type things like pineapple, and my daughter loves sweet fruits like plumbs. My wife is the really bland one in the family, and she tends to dissmantle her food (ug, I made a minced sea food salad once, and she didn't eat it untill she made little piles of shimp, cram, mushrooms, peppers, raisins, carrots, etc!) Then there is the need to work arround food allergies and sencitivities. My daughter is allergic to cashews (rather violently too) and pistachios and tomatoes and possably a few other foods. My son reacts poorly to wheat and sugar and chocolate, and is very sencitive to vitamine C (actually his skin will bleed if he eats too much oranges or peppers etc, so he needs to be limited). As a result, we eat a lot of beans, and use a lot of bean flours. We also use a lot of rice or corn. I am always looking at different international foods for ideas and inspirations :D

I understand the frustration, most def. That is in part why I like this challenge. It is also a way to "cook" for someone else and immagine the dinner.

10. pgram

pgram

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Well it works for me! My mom adores lamb, but she, my daughter and I are the only one's. :( Boy do I have something for you if you like lamb. It's a marinade I concocted with Rosemary, Mint, a store bought jam and olive oil. I bet it would change someother opinions (at least with the kids). Remind me and I'll post it later.

Sounds like Mexican and Indian dishes are among those that you would be able to fix with all the allergies. Oriental, Asian and tropical influence use too many ingredients with high citrus/Vitamin C content.

11. kerryclan

kerryclan

I too cook for people with a few "can't eat, won't eat" requirements. TeenKerry can't have things like blue cheese, won't eat most veggies. Mr. Kerry hates lamb, risotto, turnips, middle-eastern, etc. So, it's a challenge to come up with meals that everyone will like. After a while, you just go with the flow and get creative. I like everything. If only I could just please me, but then there wouldn't be half the fun!

BTW, I could definately work with those beef necks. Can't wait to get the rest of the ingredients! ;)

12. keeperofthegood

keeperofthegood

LOL

Actually, there are a fair variety of oriental dishes that I can serve. I just need to watch the peppers most (and quantity for my son). However, yes. Most of my cooking is neo-latin and revived Indian as well as continental Indian. I find that herritage recipes and heritage foods also tend towards the types I can do. Recipes from a time before tomatoes and wheat were a staple. I am really hopeing that my daughter grows out of her reaction to tomatoes and that it does not spread to the other nightshades (grrrr that would mean no egg plant and strawberries and peppers and paprika and gahhh a lot of fab foods :( )

13. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Okay, I'll give it a go! Let's try a tagine-type of braise:

To the above list, add:
    1 large onion, sliced in thin wedges
    3 firm, red tomatoes, wedged
    4 large cloves garlic
    cumin, ground coriander, red chili flakes, cinnamon and turmeric to taste
    2 cups turkey or chicken stock

Method:
    Use a large, heavy braising casserole or pot. Disjoint the turkey wings. Salt and pepper them and brown them in olive oil; set them aside. Saute the garlic in olive oil and add the onions; saute until translucent. Add the ground spices and continue sauteing another couple of minutes. Remove the zest from the oranges; chop and reserve 2 tablespoons. Juice the oranges and reserve their juice.

Add the turkey, orange juice and stock. Cover and bake in the oven at 350 F for 1 hour. Then add the tomatoes, chickpeas (canned or soaked and ready to use) and okra. Cover and return to the oven for another 30-45 minutes. Uncover and continue baking until juices are reduced.

Serve on a platter with hot rice. Sprinke orange zest over the dish before serving.

14. redace1960

redace1960

i'd have never thought of that-YUMM! killin' me! i really need to go eat breakfast.
    if i was you, i'd save off the orange juice, add 2 ice cubes and one shot of gold coin mezcal and congratulate myself.