Parsley plant gone wild

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by chefteldanielle, Apr 17, 2002.

1. chefteldanielle

chefteldanielle

I planted some Italian parsley from seed last year and I am using it alot in the kitchen, trimming it the way Iam supposed to..
    But this plant is just not slowing down.

Iam so grateful it has been so good to me, but the plant is almost the size of a shrub..
    Does anyone have any ideas for large quantity stuff I can make so that I don't have to deal with a flowering parsley plant.
    The leaves are wonderful.
    Thank you
    Danielle

2. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I watched Joanne Wier put whole herb leaves in papardelle pasta over the weekend on TV. That could use up a bunch and make cool gifts.

I've seen a number of parsley based pesto's, but don't have a recipe at hand.

Parsley jelly would consume it pretty quickly. Again, I don't have a recipe at hand.

Phil

3. marmalady

marmalady

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    parsley/shredded carrot salad with a light lemon vinaigrette - you can almost feel your body absorbing all those vitamins! makes a really refreshing side for a hot, spicy dish.

All the combinations of tabbouleh/couscous/quinoa type salads with lots of parsley.

I'm jealous!! I have to restrain myself til my parsley gets big enough to start whacking at it!!!!! If you start seeing buds forming, just pinch em off.

4. mudbug

mudbug

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    oops!

5. mudbug

mudbug

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    At The Stinking Rose garlic restaurant in San Francisco they make a fresh parsley and fresh garlic pesto/dip with olive oil and salt. The chlorophyll in the parsley helps tame the "after effects" of the garlic for when you need to talk to someone... spread on a crustini, use as a spread, etc.

You could blend it up in olive oil for a great and colorful parsley oil.

Look here for parsley jelly recipes.

6. chefteldanielle

chefteldanielle

Thnak you all.
    everytime i see in a recipe.. '1 bunch of parsley' I go out whack off a big huge bunch and use it.
    today i made a pistou for broiled salmon and i used like 1/2 the plant for this recipe. When i go out tommorrow it will lok as if I never did anything..
    Thank you..
    iam very grateful i have it.
    danielle

7. calicoskies

calicoskies

Here in NC, I plant parsley more for caterpillars than I do to use in my cooking, altho I do that too. I plant parsley in pots and set them out in the gardens, the caterpillars eat it and then turn in to beautiful swallowtail butterflies in the summer. The butterflies love my lantana bushes. Last few summers I have had dozens of butterflies in my gardens.

I do think parsley and herbs are best planted in pots, you can better contain them that way. I would love to see your huge parsley "shrub!" I bet its cool.

8. the saucy cajun

the saucy cajun

I have a parsley patch that I planted years ago. I just always let some go to seed & it just keeps coming back. Down here I have fresh parsley from it year round, but if I really want to do a job on it, I make a big bowl of tabouli and make pesto (1/2 basil, 1/2 parsley, olive oil, garlic, parmesean cheese in the food processor) I then freeze the pesto in ice cube trays. Once frozen, I throw them in a gal ziplock. Of course it's not as good as fresh, but it sure tastes nice in the middle of winter.
    The Saucy Cajun :lips:
    ps The swallowtails are why I let it go to seed the first time. They had cocoons all in it. Didn't stop to think nature would reward me for it & send the parsley back year after year!