Paris recommendations

Joined Jun 11, 2001
I can only imagine the deluge of suggestions that will come from this, but I'm looking for recommendations for dinner in Paris. We've never been there and are going early next year on a long-awaited anniversary trip. Staying in the Avenue des Champs-Elysees area, but anywhere even remotely nearby that's worth the trip would be fine.

We're more interested in really good, creative food than being in the trendiest most expensive spot, but places that combine both will work if needed!

TIA for any tips!

Joined Mar 13, 2001
Hi Georgeair,

You can visit Paris Restaurants on the web by clicking here

You will find amongst the best, Taillevent and Le Doyen for an unforgettable experience.
And both are on Champs-Élysées. Fouquet's has a lot of history as well.

You might want to click on "La Tour d'Argent" where they have private rooms.

The advantage: while offering the same lovely views as the principal dining areas,
you and your guests will enjoy more freedom in a more intimate atmosphere; accomodates from 15 to 50 guests.

For a family anniversary, it may be the perfect setting.

In all of those restaurants, you may have to book well in advance, from the US.

Gastronomic Museum
You MUST visit The Petit Musée, on the ground floor of the TOUR D'ARGENT which recounts the history of French gastronomy through a display of the tableware and memorabilia that symbolize it. Here you may discover the history of refinement, plaisirs de la table and civilization.

[ July 26, 2001: Message edited by: Kimmie ]

Joined Mar 13, 2001
It's me again. Don't miss these world famous pâtisseries!

Click here for links
  • Ladurée;
  • Fauchon;
  • Pâtisserie Storrer, the oldest pâtisserie in Paris, founded in 1720. This small bakery is reminiscent of the past, and has remained one of the top pâtisseries in Paris;
  • La Maison du Chocolat;
  • Lenôtre Pâtisserie; and
  • Max Poilane Boulangerie.
Also, the following link is pretty cool!

rendezvousfrance.com

[ July 26, 2001: Message edited by: Kimmie ]

Joined Aug 29, 2000
If you've never been to Paris and want to try a typical neighborhood bistro (full of locals, usually), try Polidor on rue Monsieur-le-Prince, in the St. Germain-des-Pres district, 6th Arrondissement. Get off at the Odeon stop. Noplace is very far from anyplace else in Paris if you take the Metro! I think Rick Steves visited Polidor, but I can't be sure. In any case, in 1998 , our fellow diners were mostly French and Europeans rather than American toursts. In the same neighborhood at a tiny square called Carrefour de l'Odeon, there was a pretty good Alsatian restaurant whose name escapes me. Good beer and pretty good choucroute garni. Just wander around, check out the menus, and if you see what look like locals, give it a shot. Don't forget to jot notes with the restaurant's name, address and useful commments! You never know when you'll return, or when someone will post on this BB asking for some suggestions. ;)

Joined Jun 11, 2001
First of all thanks to Mezzaluna & Kimmie for the suggestions. Hope everyone else will forgive me for bringing this back to the top, but we are finalizing our plans for March now, including reservations, and I wanted to see if any of the new (or old) forum members had any other Paris suggestions.

Thanks!

Joined Jan 8, 2002
I'll second Mezzaluna's suggestion for St Germain des Pres. We stayed in paris for I think 10 nights and we almost always found ourselves heading there. No particular restaurant in mind, but you'll be inundated by doorstep barkers begging you to come inside. They speak every language in the world and will speak to you in your native tongue, sensing where you are from just by your looks and mannerisms.
I've found that it helps to be able to speak some French in this area- we showed up at a place for New Year's Eve back in 1997. Every other American was turned away from the restaurant but us, as I adamantly stated to the Maitre D' in french that I was going to get a table immediately or I was leaving. He was very gracious after that while continuing to tell others "come back in 15 minutes" until they gave up.
One night, we grab various things from the patisserie, boulangerie, charcuterie etc in the area (we were staying near the Jardin de Luxembourg at the time) and made a picnic in our room. Twas fun!
Enjoy your trip,
Andrew

Top Bottom