Pantry challenge (what to make for dinner?)

Joined Apr 3, 2008
I've been clearing the fridge and pantries in anticipation of Thanksgiving shopping.  I have a bunch of ingredients and no idea what to make.  In addition to these I also have plenty of the usual staples on hand except for EGGS, BREAD, or CREAM.

I don't need to use all these ingredients at once, but what kind of dinner would I scrap together from these without having to leave the house?

Andouille sausage

chicken breast

duck breast

scallops

cheese

brussel sprouts

bell peppers

lettuce

bacon

Last edited:

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
You've got  most of a gumbo there, or some similar braises.

You could go a number of asian directions in stir fries, soups and similar treatments. 

Joined Apr 3, 2008

You've got  most of a gumbo there, or some similar braises.

You could go a number of asian directions in stir fries, soups and similar treatments. 
True.  I was thinking of andouille and tomato risotto with scallops.

Joined Sep 5, 2008
Gumbo, yes. You could even go paella-kinda. Rice, sausage, chicken, scallops, duck, bell peppers and brussel sprouts should work although I would most likely cook the sprouts separately or sautee them in oil and add them at the end or something, to avoid giving the rice a cabbage taste.

With the remaining ingredients you can do a BLT grilled cheese sandwich.

Joined Oct 31, 2012
Scallop and bacon with lettuce and shaved brussels sprout salad, gumbo for main course, cheese and fruit for dessert.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
I see a couple of meals there.  Duck breast with a side of brussels sprouts sauteed with bacon and a salad.

A Gumbo as mentioned with the chicken, andouille, etc.  

What type of scallops bay, or sea?

Joined Apr 3, 2008
I thawed the sea scallops and realized they were full of frostbite.  I tried to cut off as much as I could and was left with less than 30% of what I had.  I sauteed them and had them as a snack.  Meh.

Same thing with the duck breast.  I found it in the back of the freezer and was there with a 2011 date on it.  I thawed it, it was gray and unpleasant so I chucked it.  Drat!!!

On to the dinner.  I made a hash with potatoes, andouille, peppers and onions and served oil poached eggs on it.  I also roasted the brusselsprouts.  I seasoned them heavily with cumin, smoked paprika, a little onion powder, salt and pepper and olive oil.  Oh man were those good!

Joined Sep 5, 2008
Well sorry to hear you had a few bad surprises, it happens with freezers!! Good to see you were able to save face and make a delicious dinner anyway. The hash sounds good, the sprouts look perfectly caramelized.... too bad about that duck breast. Now I'm in the mood for duck breast! I think I'm going to roast a duck for thanksgiving.

Joined Oct 31, 2012
That's rather funny. So the answer was just " Hash and roasted brussel sprouts."  I've had that happen many times. lt can be a challenge to rotate out the home freezer on a regular basis. Sometimes it's been there too long and sometimes it's unrecognizable. Labels. I don't know why I forget the labels. 

Joined May 27, 2013

I have the labels.  But I still forget that something is there even if I look at it every day.
That happens to me with salad dressings, meat sauces, various dipping sauces, condiments etc. I use the leftover sauces as flavor bombs in other dishes - when I remember I have them!!!

Joined Nov 15, 2012
Too bad about the scallops and duck.  I envisioned Coquille St Jaques with smoked duck breast.

Joined Apr 3, 2008
Too bad about the scallops and duck.  I envisioned Coquille St Jaques with smoked duck breast.

Plenty of good things can come out of the freezer if one is careful. But I think we're all guilty of leaving something in there for too long.

Latest posts

Top Bottom