Pantry challenge (what to make for dinner?)

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by koukouvagia, Nov 20, 2016.

1. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I've been clearing the fridge and pantries in anticipation of Thanksgiving shopping.  I have a bunch of ingredients and no idea what to make.  In addition to these I also have plenty of the usual staples on hand except for EGGS, BREAD, or CREAM.

I don't need to use all these ingredients at once, but what kind of dinner would I scrap together from these without having to leave the house?

Andouille sausage

chicken breast

duck breast

scallops

cheese

brussel sprouts

bell peppers

lettuce

bacon

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
  2. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    You've got  most of a gumbo there, or some similar braises.

You could go a number of asian directions in stir fries, soups and similar treatments. 

3. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    True.  I was thinking of andouille and tomato risotto with scallops.

4. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Gumbo, yes. You could even go paella-kinda. Rice, sausage, chicken, scallops, duck, bell peppers and brussel sprouts should work although I would most likely cook the sprouts separately or sautee them in oil and add them at the end or something, to avoid giving the rice a cabbage taste.

With the remaining ingredients you can do a BLT grilled cheese sandwich.

5. chefwriter

chefwriter

Exp:
    Professional Cook
    Scallop and bacon with lettuce and shaved brussels sprout salad, gumbo for main course, cheese and fruit for dessert.

6. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I see a couple of meals there.  Duck breast with a side of brussels sprouts sauteed with bacon and a salad.

A Gumbo as mentioned with the chicken, andouille, etc.  

What type of scallops bay, or sea?

7. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I thawed the sea scallops and realized they were full of frostbite.  I tried to cut off as much as I could and was left with less than 30% of what I had.  I sauteed them and had them as a snack.  Meh.

Same thing with the duck breast.  I found it in the back of the freezer and was there with a 2011 date on it.  I thawed it, it was gray and unpleasant so I chucked it.  Drat!!!

On to the dinner.  I made a hash with potatoes, andouille, peppers and onions and served oil poached eggs on it.  I also roasted the brusselsprouts.  I seasoned them heavily with cumin, smoked paprika, a little onion powder, salt and pepper and olive oil.  Oh man were those good!

8. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Well sorry to hear you had a few bad surprises, it happens with freezers!! Good to see you were able to save face and make a delicious dinner anyway. The hash sounds good, the sprouts look perfectly caramelized.... too bad about that duck breast. Now I'm in the mood for duck breast! I think I'm going to roast a duck for thanksgiving.

9. chefwriter

chefwriter

Exp:
    Professional Cook
    That's rather funny. So the answer was just " Hash and roasted brussel sprouts."  I've had that happen many times. lt can be a challenge to rotate out the home freezer on a regular basis. Sometimes it's been there too long and sometimes it's unrecognizable. Labels. I don't know why I forget the labels. 

10. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I have the labels.  But I still forget that something is there even if I look at it every day.

11. jake t buds

jake t buds

Exp:
    Other
    That happens to me with salad dressings, meat sauces, various dipping sauces, condiments etc. I use the leftover sauces as flavor bombs in other dishes - when I remember I have them!!!

12. toxicant

toxicant

Exp:
    Beverage Expert
  13. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    I do the same, mostly with braising liquors.

14. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Too bad about the scallops and duck.  I envisioned Coquille St Jaques with smoked duck breast.

15. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Oooooh... that doesn't sound half bad. Or even Coquilles St Jacques with duck chicharrones!! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/licklips.gif

16. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Plenty of good things can come out of the freezer if one is careful. But I think we're all guilty of leaving something in there for too long.