panko

Joined Mar 13, 2002
A friend brought me a couple of bags of panko crumbs. I remember reading about them but can't remember how I am supposed to use them. Help please!

Joined Jul 31, 2000
Panko is japenese bread crumbs.

I love there texture.

I use them primarely for breading seafood like ahi,soft shell crabs and the like.

Joined Dec 17, 2002
Leethequeen,
Another use of Panko is with firm-fleshed fish dredged in water and cornstarch slurry, then in the Panko and quickly fried off. I am not an expert in the oriental cuisine, but I have seen that done. Try experimenting with a few vegetables also. Good luck!
schoolchef

Joined May 26, 2001
Anything that you might do "à l'anglais" -- that is, coat in flour, then egg, then crumbs -- can be done with panko crumbs as the last coating. Pork chops, veal chops, turkey scallops, not only fish. Panko crumbs give a wonderful crunch to anything you fry.

Joined Dec 1, 2002
Since everybody posted uses I will post a way I don't use them. I think that they are too big to use as a binder. ie- duxelle, meatloaf etc. They do work well with persillade ( garlic, butter, parley, and bread). Mix it up and sprinkle on casseroles, Au Gratin potatoes, etc.

Joined Sep 21, 2001
I used them to make our chicken strips and duck strips. They blow any pre-mades out of the water. And they cost about a quarter of the price.

Joined Mar 4, 2000
Don't forget to try it on apple or banana fritters, along with some shredded coconut. Mmmm:lips: .

isa

Joined Apr 4, 2000
Why not try a few japanese dishes like Tonkatsu, a fried breaded pork cutlet, on rice with its little sauce. :lips:

Joined Jan 26, 2003
We use panko primarily for deep frying. It's awesome with thinly sliced turnips and all kinds of veges. I wonder how it would be to batter stuffed squash blossoms (which are soon to come in season) and then coat with panko and deep fry? I stuffed some snow peas the other day and am thinking they too, would be awsome fried with panko. dickie

Joined Apr 7, 2003
Panko also works well in eggplant parmesan recipes - in my opinion it's a better choice than regular breadcrumbs because the crust it forms around the eggplant is thicker and crispier. It helps keep the sauce at bay :).

Latest posts

Top Bottom