panko

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by leethequeen, Apr 4, 2003.

1. leethequeen

leethequeen

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    A friend brought me a couple of bags of panko crumbs. I remember reading about them but can't remember how I am supposed to use them. Help please!

2. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Panko is japenese bread crumbs.

I love there texture.

I use them primarely for breading seafood like ahi,soft shell crabs and the like.

3. schoolchef

schoolchef

Leethequeen,
    Another use of Panko is with firm-fleshed fish dredged in water and cornstarch slurry, then in the Panko and quickly fried off. I am not an expert in the oriental cuisine, but I have seen that done. Try experimenting with a few vegetables also. Good luck!
    schoolchef

4. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    Anything that you might do "à l'anglais" -- that is, coat in flour, then egg, then crumbs -- can be done with panko crumbs as the last coating. Pork chops, veal chops, turkey scallops, not only fish. Panko crumbs give a wonderful crunch to anything you fry.

5. ironchefatl

ironchefatl

Exp:
    Other
    Since everybody posted uses I will post a way I don't use them. I think that they are too big to use as a binder. ie- duxelle, meatloaf etc. They do work well with persillade ( garlic, butter, parley, and bread). Mix it up and sprinkle on casseroles, Au Gratin potatoes, etc.

6. peachcreek

peachcreek

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I used them to make our chicken strips and duck strips. They blow any pre-mades out of the water. And they cost about a quarter of the price.

7. mudbug

mudbug

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
  8. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Don't forget to try it on apple or banana fritters, along with some shredded coconut. Mmmm:lips: .

9. leethequeen

leethequeen

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Thanks for all the imput - off to the fish market to try them out!

10. isa

isa

Why not try a few japanese dishes like Tonkatsu, a fried breaded pork cutlet, on rice with its little sauce. :lips:

11. dickie

dickie

We use panko primarily for deep frying. It's awesome with thinly sliced turnips and all kinds of veges. I wonder how it would be to batter stuffed squash blossoms (which are soon to come in season) and then coat with panko and deep fry? I stuffed some snow peas the other day and am thinking they too, would be awsome fried with panko. dickie

12. brie

brie

Panko also works well in eggplant parmesan recipes - in my opinion it's a better choice than regular breadcrumbs because the crust it forms around the eggplant is thicker and crispier. It helps keep the sauce at bay :).