Paneed Chicken - help

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by nextscotch, Mar 10, 2013.

1. nextscotch

nextscotch

Exp:
    At home cook
    Every time I try to do a paneed chicken, I follow the directions to medium heat (gas range) a good olive oil, mine is a first press from spain, and the crust turns dark almost black right away, and the insides are not cooked.  

I am using cusinart stainless MCP. 

What am I doing wrong?  Please help. I am a total noob, and sorry if I missed this somewhere else. I tried to search for an answer.

Thanks!

NextScotch

2. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Your "medium heat" is too strong, try low heat. Also I don't recommend olive oil, try a more neutral oil like grapeseed or vegetable oil - although that's a matter of taste really. But when heating your good olive oil you're losing a lot of what's good about it - better keep the good olive oil for salad dressings or for finishing (drizzle it raw over the finished dish like pasta, risotto, etc..). 

Also make sure your protein is at room temp so it has time to cook before the breading is carbonized. 

Also make sure there's enough oil in the pan to reach about 1/3rd of the height of the chicken. Not enough oil means the breading in contact with the pan will turn black but the breading not in contact will stay white, but nothing will turn golden brown. 

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  3. nextscotch

nextscotch

Exp:
    At home cook
    Great tips.  Thank you very much.  Will try again soon.  

4. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Best of luck.

PS: Are you French by any chance?

5. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I tend to use lower heat as well, and a knob of butter in addition to the oil.

mjb.

6. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    +1, of course, butter. ;)