Pan for Roasting a Butterflied Chicken

Discussion in 'Cooking Equipment Reviews' started by patrick cox, Sep 10, 2012.

1. patrick cox

patrick cox

Exp:
    At home cook
    Currently I have a 10" Fry Pan but I need a larger pan for roasting a whole butterflied chicken.  My question is which size users would recommend for this (maybe a 4 lb or so whole butterflied chicken) and then which style of pan?  (Fry, French Skillet or Saute?

I like All Clad pans and that is what I am thinking I will buy here.

Thanks!

Pat

2. chrislehrer

chrislehrer

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    A butterflied or spatchcocked chicken is closer to square than round, so you might consider a square pan if size is an issue (e.g. if, as in my apartment, a new pan significantly alters the distribution of equipment in a small storage space).

Other than that, I doubt it makes much difference beyond the usual concerns about which metal and so forth. I would tend to plump for medium-low sides, so the bird steams as little as possible.

3. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Most anything can work. I'd probably reach for a 12 cast iron skillet. But you could use a baking sheet with a small dish shaped of aluminum foil to catch the juices and prevent them running off and burning on the sheet.

4. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    For splayed chicken I use a 12" cast iron skillet.  Heat it up in a 500 degree oven, drop the room temp, dry, seasoned chicken in and back into the oven for 45 minutes for a 4-1/2 lb. bird.  It's a great way to do a whole chicken when I don't want to truss one.