Paging Angrychef, I have a question for you

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by mbcakes, Apr 19, 2002.

1. mbcakes

mbcakes

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I was told you developed a method for making great scratch cakes. Would you be willing to share your method? I'm not keen on cake mixes but would like to make a scratch cake that bakes up with same texture and moistness(is that even a word?) of a mix cake. I was told you use pudding in your scratch cake but don't know any more than that. So come on and tell me what to do!!! Thanks

2. lotuscakestudio

lotuscakestudio

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    I'm obviously not angrychef, but anyhoo... just had to say...

Adding pudding to cake recipes seems so Suzy Homemaker, but you know what? I freaking love the stuff! As soon as I find an organic/natural type pudding mix that doesn't creep me out, I am going to start doing that again.

3. kimmie

kimmie

Lotus,

Can you say h-o-m-e-m-a-d-e pudding?

Kidding aside, do you think it would work with homemade pudding? :rolleyes:

4. mbcakes

mbcakes

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Doesn't Nori make a vegan pudding mix? I'm pretty sure I've seen another vegan brand of pudding mix. I'll look for it next time I go shopping and check out the ingredients. Ok lotus, you said you "love the freaking stuff" but you didn't say how to make cake with it. Stop teasing!!! Do I add the dry mix to the cake or make the pudding 1st and then add it? Tell meeeeeee!!!!! You know those cake doctor books? Can you doctor scratch cakes the same way by adding different flavor puddings? Ok that's 5 questions and I have 15 left....hmmmmm, I think I'll save some for later.

5. lotuscakestudio

lotuscakestudio

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Kimmie,
    I don't think you could use home made pudding b/c you add the dry pudding mix to the cake.

Which answers mb's question. (One of them anyway, ;)). I wasn't trying to tease! LOL! I just thought your question to angrychef were more technical to her specific formula and you already knew the gist of the pudding mix thing.

It's been a while so I don't remember exactly, but I think you add 2 - 3 tablespoons of pudding to one box of cake mix. So I did the same thing with a scratch recipe which yields the same amount as the average Duncan Hines mix (two 9" rounds) and that's what worked for me. I just added it with the dry ingredients.

Nori does make a pudding mix and I guess I should try it, but that's the one that creeps me out! It says to mix it with pureed tofu and that just sounds way too granola hippy yuck for me! I know that has nothing to do with just using it as a dry pudding mix in a cake recipe, but I am SO DISTURBED by it that I just can't get past it. Every time I see the package in the store, all I think of it pureed tofu with vanilla added and I want to puke. Also, I think it's sweetened with honey. Another strike against it. I couldn't use it for over half of my cakes (for the vegan clients), and I think it would alter the taste of the cake. I just want sugar dammit! A normal pudding mix without the weird ingredient names I can't pronounce! (BTW, I used Jello brand).

I've seen the Cake Doctor book once and I skimmed through it since everyone makes such a big hoo ha over it, but it didn't look interesting enough for me to read more than flip through pages and look at pictures. So I don't know exactly what they do with pudding flavors. I just used vanilla or white chocolate pudding in almost all my recipes since those are neutral flavors. I added them for the moistness, not so much the flavor.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask, but hopefully angrychef will be here soon to drop the 411.

-Vedika

6. isaac

isaac

i have two questions....

1- does it impart any flavor?

2- how does it contribute to keeping the cake more moist?

7. w.debord

w.debord

I printed out the discussion we had on this before. Here's a qoute from Angry.

"Here's a little tip to try when you start testing Momoregs' recipe: Sift in with the flour about 15-18% vanilla pudding mix, about 1.5 oz. I started doing this after that discussion we had had on wanting the moistness and the texture of "box mix" but wanting a scratch recipe. I'm still finalizing my recipe, but I can tell you that my cakes are so much moister and softer with the addition of the pudding powder. I haven't tried it yet with a butter cake recipe but I am sure it will work."

Lotus the standard formula with mixes (that I understand) is 1 box mix to 1 small box instant pudding(4 oz. I believe). If you read published recipes using this formula they then call the cake a bundt or pound cake because the pudding makes the cake denser and moister then mix alone. The cake doctor book is pretty much a take-off from Duncan Heines, who's been publishing variations to their mixes for years and years.

8. angrychef

angrychef

mbcakes --- I think your hyping me up(or my recipes)! :blush:

First of all, there are great scratch recipes out there that don't use pudding mix. I choose to use it as an addition to cake batters that have a tendency to taste very plain and blah(like hi-ratio cakes, muffin batters, etc.). A friend of mine in R & D told me that the starch in the pudding mix reacts and traps all the moisture in the cake batter, thereby producing a moister product.

The general rule I've been using is about 10-15% vanilla pudding dry mix to the weight of flour. It's kinda trial and error. I sift the vanilla dry pudding mix(I use jello) in with the flour and leaveners. Works great with muffin batters and butter cakes too.

9. isaac

isaac

you take 10-15% of the flout OUT and ADD 10-15% pudding mix?

10. lotuscakestudio

lotuscakestudio

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    mb,
    I was thinking that the brand of health food store pudding is Nori-mu, but it's Mori-nu! Haha. Anyhow, I checked it out today and right there on the package it read: "100% vegan". Nice to know they changed their recipe. They now use dehydrated raw cane juice instead of honey. Hain also makes a natural pudding mix with very different ingredients than Mori-nu. I bought both to try out and I think I will also buy a box of Jell-o pudding too just to have a side by side comparison then I will post the results. Yes, I was able to get past the disturbing serving suggestion on the Mori-nu package. This thread inspired me to do so.

W.,
    The woman who told me about adding pudding to a mix said 2 - 3 T. to mixes that already had pudding in them (like Pillsbury, etc.) So I guess in a puddingless cake mix, a full box of pudding would be in order. I think a small box of pudding mix is less than 4 oz., no? 4 oz. seems like a lot. Well, I am off to the non-health food grocery store right now to buy my Jell-o pudding so I'll find out what the sizes are soon enough.

Wow... such a cutting edge life I live. Going to buy Jell-o pudding mix on a Friday night. Woo hoo! Par-tay!

11. isaac

isaac

i guess it would make since that if you are adding extra dry ingredents that either extra wet ingredents are needed or a % of the flour needs to be tooken out.

12. angrychef

angrychef

No isaac, don't remove any % of flour. What I meant is if your recipe calls for 20 oz. of flour, add 2 oz. of dry pudding mix. Calculate 10% of total weight of flour, that is the amount of pudding mix called for.

13. isaac

isaac

thanks angrychef

14. mbcakes

mbcakes

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Thanks everyone, I tried the pudding in my vanilla cake and it did add moisture and a bit of flavor.