Paella pan size vs gas burner size

Joined May 7, 2020
Hello

I am looking to buy my first paella pan, to serve 4 people. I live in Europe, so I have better prices for pans made in Spain :)

I found this one...16": https://hiperchef.com/paelleras-paellas/paelleras-profesionales-pata-negra

Question is: What size of paella pan would you recommend for a 5" gas wok-burner, with 4 rings of flame? (see attached photo). I could also use a diffuser if needed. The flame can cover about 10" when at maximum, without the diffuser.

Also, do paella pans that have a thicker bottom (like the ones made for induction heating) help with spreading the heat mor evenly? As in - will I get away with using a larger paella pan on my small-ish burner if I get one made for induction?

Thanks guys!

Attachments

Joined Sep 5, 2008
I'm afraid a 16" paella pan on a 5" burner will prove challenging to get the rice to cook evenly. Is there anyway you could get the pan to straddle two burners on your stove?

Joined May 7, 2020
I'm afraid a 16" paella pan on a 5" burner will prove challenging to get the rice to cook evenly. Is there anyway you could get the pan to straddle two burners on your stove?
Unfortunately...there is no way. I only have 4 burners and not enough room at the wall to accommodate a pan across 2 burners.
(Photos are measured in cm)

Should I go for a smaller size? 12"? 14" maybe?

Attachments

Last edited:
Joined Sep 5, 2008
From your photos it looks like only a 12" pan would fit. I would consider getting a dedicated 3-ring burner if you want anything larger. Or consider placing the paella pan in the oven if yours is big enough?

Joined May 7, 2020
Or consider placing the paella pan in the oven if yours is big enough?
Why not just do it in the oven?
Wait...you can do the paella in the oven?? 😁
You can achieve the much sought-after soccarat in the oven? Won't the paella dry out?

I have an Electrolux EOB8857AAX Combi-Steam oven...it can fit a pan that's 16"x18" including handles.

How would you suggest to cook it?

Joined Sep 5, 2008
I would start it on the stovetop and finish it in the oven, maybe covered with aluminum foil, I dont know you'd have to experiment, it isn't the traditional way to make paella but you should be able to get a decent result IMO.

Latest posts

Top Bottom