PA Dutch mystery

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by hexnymph, Jul 7, 2003.

1. hexnymph

hexnymph

My grandmother used to make a dish she refered too as pudding meat and buckwheat cakes when I was younger.

It was basically a dish with buckwheat pancakes topped with "pudding meat" onions and maple syrup.

I can't seem to find any information on "pudding meat". Is there another term for it? Is anyone familiar with it?

Hex

P.S. If you have a simple (read: plain) potatoe pancake recipe, I'm all ears.

2. buddyrv

buddyrv

I found a meat pudding recipe on the net. Just use search words "meat pudding" and you'll see one particular hit "old fashion meat pudding"

3. mike

mike

It was probably that pet rabbit that suddenly went missing !!!!!!!

4. hexnymph

hexnymph

How did you know about the rabbit!?!

I looked up the "old fashion meat pudding" and that might possibly be it. I only have foggy memmories of it.

Now, all I have to do is get my hands on a meat grinder...

Hex

5. mike

mike

Hee Hee,
    ;)

6. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    Hey, you guys, don't let momoreg see you talking about bunnies that way :eek:

7. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    The meat pudding recipes sounded a lot like my grandmother's "hamburger" recipe. She mixed ground beef (sometimes with veal) with egg, fresh bread cubes (cut small), chopped onion, minced garlic and maybe some celery. She shaped them in patties and baked them on a rack in a baking pan. She called them "cotlieten", or cutlets (the word may be Russian or Yiddish). Those WERE hamburgers to me until I was almost a teenager. The meat pudding recipes sometimes include potato, but otherwise, it seemed similar- except the puddings were boiled or steamed rather than baked.

I'd just consider it hamburger or veal or pork (or some combination) mixed with veggies and a binder of some kind. How did your granmother serve the meat? Was it fried, boiled and sliced, or what?

8. hexnymph

hexnymph

The meat was definitly loose/ground. I can't remember if there was a broth with it or not, I don't think so, but it wasn't too dry.

She also made hamburgers with at least cornmeal and onion.

Hex