P.B.'s Peanut Butter and Jelly Pie

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by piglet91, Mar 21, 2005.

1. piglet91

piglet91

I saw a recipe fore P.B.'s Peanut Butter and Jelly Pie
    But its call for cream chesses i don’t like cream cheese can i use something else

here the recipe want to get it a try :cool: :)

Thanks piglet

P.B.'s Peanut Butter and Jelly Pie

1 (1/4-ounce) envelope unflavored gelatin
    1/4 cup warm water
    1 (12-ounce) jar seedless strawberry jam
    3/4 cup peanut butter
    1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, at room temperature
    1/2 cup milk
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 1/4 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
    1 (8-ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
    1 pre-baked (9 or 10-inch) pie shell
    Roasted peanuts, for garnish

Sprinkle gelatin over the water to soften and let stand for 5 minutes. Over very low heat, warm the mixture in a small saucepan, just until gelatin is dissolved. Do not boil.

In the work bowl of a food processor, add jam and process to break up the chunks. Add gelatin mixture and process until smooth.

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the peanut butter, cream cheese, milk, and vanilla until smooth. Add the confectioners' sugar and beat until smooth. Very gently fold in the thawed whipped topping.

To assemble the pie: Add 1/3 of the jam mixture to the bottom of the pie crust, spreading with a spatula to smooth. Add half of the peanut butter mixture evenly over top. Top with another 1/3 of the jam mixture. Add the last half of the peanut butter mixture. Using the back of a spoon, make dips and swirls in the top mixture. Drizzle the remaining jam in and around the swirls in a decorative manner. Add small groups of roasted peanuts to the top, in and around the peanut butter swirls and in the jam. Chill for several hours before serving.

2. sarap

sarap

Hi,

Sounds like a great recipe.

I would think you could replace the cream cheese with another similar substance, say, ricotta. It has a lot less pronounced flavor and it might just do the trick.

I would just make sure that there isn't too much liquid in the ricotta. You want it as close as possible to the same consistency as the cream cheese would have been. If your ricotta is a little liquidy, let it drain a while through a cheese cloth. And mix it well to a nice smooth texture.

I've found in doing substitutions (and I do a lot because I never seem to have all the ingredients I need on hand!) that the most important thing is consistency. Try to achieve the same texture, weight, and thickness as the product you are trying to replace.

I hope this helps! That's the thing with substitutions - sometimes the outcome is even better!

Sara

3. cooky

cooky

I love this American liking of peanut butter and jelly... a fellow journalism colleague introduced me to it and all the years living in Prague I used to have it at my house. Extraordinarily, there were just being passed laws in Czech Republic about the import of peanut butter. According to some new rules on food by the EC, certain peanut butter products are not allowed to being distributed. - Good that you are posting here your natural peanut butter recipe. That´s so much of an effort! I will really take note of it and try that one out.

Thank you and best greetings.

:chef:

"Taking risks is precisely what makes life interesting."
    http://www.paulocoelho.com
    http://www.warriorofthelight.com