OYSTERS

Joined Mar 4, 2000
Last night, I was dining in a fine restaurant, where I ordered oysters on the half- shell. One of them was bad, and I'm wondering, how easy is it to tell that an oyster is bad when shucking them? I mean, is there anyone at fault, or is it just bad luck?

nicko

Founder of Cheftalk.com
Staff member
Joined Oct 5, 2001
It always seemed pretty simple to tell, either they were already opened, or when you opened them, they were dried up or smelled horrible.

I would be interested to know based on the other discussion of bad fish (escolar, etc) are then any oyster types that you would not recommend?

------------------
Thanks,

Nicko
[email protected]

Joined Mar 9, 2000
I would be interested to know based on the other discussion of bad fish (escolar, etc) are then any oyster types that you would not recommend?

[/B][/QUOTE]

Yes, oysters that have gone bad............

Joined Jul 31, 2000
Sorry for the delayed response, I have been in Alaska for the last 3 weeks. The only oysters that I do not recommend are Gulf oysters. We have not carried them for 10 years. Gulf of Mexico oysters are not generally a problem for healthy people....but people with liver disease or immunity problems should avoid. With the education the way it is we feel Gulf oysters are not safe......email me if you would like an article on the subject. [email protected]

Joined Aug 11, 2000
IN Louisiana oyster are labeled by the esturary they are gathered from. At times I've hesitated eating a fresh one....(going then to poor boys) but when the scare is over I'm right back at the oyster bar with saltines. Boy I miss them in St. Louis.

Joined Jul 18, 2000
i do believe that oysters are easily affected by pathogens in fecal matter.

We have had a scare in one of the Australian regional areas where the oysters in a estuary caused a suspected Hep A outbreak.

Given that, new Aus Federal and State legislation provide and specify that oysters must now be purified for at least 24 hours in a purified water tank under ultraviolet light.

Latest posts

Top Bottom