Oscars anyone?

nicko

Founder of Cheftalk.com
Staff member
Joined Oct 5, 2001
Overall I thought they were pretty goood, but I just don't think Julia Roberts should of received the award. Anyone else?

Joined Dec 30, 1999
Nicko,

"...I just don't think Julia Roberts should of received the award..." Why? Who do you think should have won out of the nominees?

I was disappointed "Gladiato"r won, I'm not saying I didn't enjoy the film though.

As far as Julia, I always try to think of when I've seen them interviewed or interacting with others when they are not professionally "acting". Then I base my opinion on how far that individual pushed themselves to create a character. I think she's come a long way in her career as an actor and is proving she is becoming capable of handling more serious rolls. Her delivery of dialog was very well done. Reminiscent of dialogue from "The West Wing" at times. Also, I'm glad Erin Brockovich was recognized. Better she win for "Erin Brockovich" than "Pretty Woman" (which she was nominated for). The only other film I was able to view with a best actress nominee was "The Contender" and Joan Allen was very good but to me did not push the envelope of what she is capable of but her role called for reservation.

I was also disappointed Russel Crowe won. He is a very good actor, but to me he always seems like he's playing himself. I like to see actors who can create totally different characters than their normal personality instead of seeming like the same person in different roles. Based on that perspective, Javier Bardem would have been my pick.

All in all, I'm glad it wasn't weighted towards any one film in awards. It's surprising that "Traffic" received Best Director and Best Adapted Screenplay and not Best Picture. I was pleased with Steve Martin, it didn't seem like he was trying too hard to be funny, he was just trying to be a host. Just my 2 cents. ;)

nicko

Founder of Cheftalk.com
Staff member
Joined Oct 5, 2001
In the same way you feel about an actor pushing themselves I too feel the same. I also feel that Julia Roberts like Russel Crowe played herself EB. I respect your opinion, but I have never been a big fan of Julia Roberts and have felt that she is a bit overated. That is just my take, so my oscar opinion is biased.

Joan Allen I feel is a much better Actress, but of all of them I felt that Ellen Burstyn performance in Requiem for a Dream was amazing.

Joined Dec 30, 1999
Yes, it never helps when you really aren't a fan of someone in the first place.

It's also fortunate you live in an area where you can see most of the films as opposed to hoping they'll win so you can see it in the theatre instead of in video formats months after the fact. :)

P.S. You might be interested in checking out Moviecritic.com. You can rate all the movies you've seen quickly and you can check out recommendations for films you might like to view based off your ratings.

[ March 26, 2001: Message edited by: cchiu ]

Joined Oct 5, 2001
Dear Nicko:

I cannot express my opinion about the awards since I have not seen any of the movies.

On the other hand, I would like to express my disapointment with Steve Martin's performance. It is a pitty because I believe strongly that he is very talented. I thought that whoever wrote his script and jokes should be sent for a sense of humor rehabilitation! :D

Joined Jan 26, 2001
Nicko, I whole heartedly agree! Julia Roberts does not act. The best she could do was in Steel Magnolias, however, both she and the character she played got on my nerves. I don't understand why women like this film. Juliette Binoche can act circles around Julia Roberts any day. And, Judi Dench
although supporting actress outshines with a movement what Julia does in a whole film.

Put Julia Roberts next to Glenn Close or Vanessa Redgrave and you would have the ridiculous (julia) and the sublime.

Why do we need to keep rewarding mediocrity?
The same with food and restaurants, why?

Top Bottom