Organizing Fridges

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by Wggraceful, Jun 26, 2019.

1. Wggraceful

Wggraceful

Exp:
    Chef
    Hi all,

After working my way up the industry, I've landed my first head chef position at a 30 seater gastropub.

In the past i have only worked with undercounter service fridges, which are easy to organize MEP into 6 pans and 9 pans for convenience in service.

The kitchen I am taking over only has 3 fairly basic stand up fridges, and it's giving me a headache how to organise these efficiently.

if anyone's got any experience that might be useful, I look forward to Your help.

2. jimyra

jimyra

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    remember food safety. ready to eat on top, meat, fowl, fish below

3. PoorlyChef

PoorlyChef

Exp:
    The proper storage hierarchy is, starting from top to bottom;
    Ready to eat foods
    Chops and steaks (beef, bison, pork and lamb) (135* cook temp)
    Seafood (145* cook temp)
    Ground meats (beef, bison, pork, lamb) (158* cook temp)
    Poultry (165* cook temp)

4. dueh

dueh

Exp:
    Professional Baker
    Having three separate coolers I would right away designate one for your proteins and reduce cross contamination as much as possible from the start. Second as a vegetable/produce cooler, and third for ready made mise/sauces/processed veg.

5. Pip

Pip

Exp:
    Kitchen Manager
    Hi all.
    Instead of starting a new thread, I thought I'd post this here as it's kinda relevant...

I've just taken a job as kitchen manager of a place in London. In the prep fridge (the only fridge) the staff have decided to also store beer and wine bottles too. I personally am not comfortable with this due to breakage and cross contamination... but wondered if there is any law/hygiene code which prevents this?

I've looked online and can't find anything to help, so I've turned to you guys! Many thanks