organization of recipes, ideas, ect

Joined Jun 9, 2001
hey everybody. my room is a mess so this weekend i decided to get organized. i put everything in file folders with lables and hung them in a file folder box.

i was wondering if any of you have an speical way of organizing your recipes and ideas?

isa

Joined Apr 4, 2000
I try to put all my recipes on index cards, print them and file in an index card box. I have a recipe folder and many many sub directories to be able to get to things quickly.

I'll do the same with magazine/newspaper recipes. If there are pictures I want to save, I'll put them in a folder I have in the kitchen. I should say had; I haven't seen it since the move.

If I find interesting articles on the net, I'll copy and paste into Word and print them. They are kept in yet another folder with the paper clipping I want to keep. All the folders were kept in a nice looking box in the kitchen. Another thing I haven't seen in a while.

Forgot one thing Isaac, it might not be practical for you but who knows. I set up my kitchen so I have all my baking equipment in the cupboards above my work space. This weekend I thought it would be a good idea to buy some cork sheet and glue them inside the cupboards door so I can put up notes and recipes I may need while baking.

[ September 09, 2001: Message edited by: Iza ]

Joined Mar 4, 2000
I keep my recipes in 2 places, in case somethiong happens to them. I have a computer program called Accuchef, which can scale a recipe up or down as I need it, and I also have them written, and organized in a 3 ring notebook, with page protectors.

Joined Mar 6, 2001
I keep talking about putting my recipes into a computor program but as of yet, I haven't. The whole process looks a little overwhelming considering how many recipes I to enter.

Right now I have three large rubber maid file boxes, there about 1' squared in size, with handles. I have one that I work out of daily and kept it at work most of the time. The other 2 file boxes contain less used recipes, ideas, photos of other peoples work etc...

Then I have folders for each holiday and each club event. For each holiday I keep recipes, scraps of info. I've found that relate ideas to that holiday and past menus with counts. I've found it very helpful to keep holiday info. seperate from my everyday files so I don't have to sort thru everything each time I'm preparing a menu.

I also make notes in my good cookbooks (this drives my husband crazy). I buy them as tools and use them as tools. If I come across something I really like from a book I photocopy it and place it in my file or I make a note and place it in the correct file so I can remember my source/reference.

I'm always ripping apart magazine articles and finding recipes on line that I add to my file. Every year it gets too full where I can't fit any more into it, so I go thru the whole thing and sort it out. That's been a step I actually enjoy, it lets me re-focus.

I should use my down time NOW and get my recipes together and stop talking about wanting to! Momoreg aprox. how much was your program and are you happy with it...would you get the same program again? Thanks.

Joined Mar 13, 2001
I use the computer and copy my cooking directory on a CD (it's practical because I have everything available at all times, even at work).

I also use 3 ring note books; my magazines are kept all together with a computerized index list. Plus some 30 + cassettes for videotaped shows.

:D

oli

Joined Aug 31, 2001
I keep all my untried recipes in a 3-ring binder and all tried, or worth while recipes in my special recipe computer program. What I like about my program is that I can also place actual photo of the cake I made along side the recipe. :D

Joined Mar 6, 2001
I looked at the site you mentioned Momoreg, thanks. I have to admit I just don't understand enough about computors to really follow this site (and alot of other computor things).

I don't understand shareware, what is it really? Do you buy it only once? Can it be used off line too? Are there other costs? Is it something I can take with me into another computor and keep forever if I so choose? Or more like a web site, where you have your own storage area (so to speak) and you remain linked to them?

Sorry, I just don't get it.........

:confused:

Joined Jun 9, 2001
i really cant stand cooking computer software programs. they drive me nuts. i guess i am just a simple person really.

as of now, i have some recipes on disk and all my pictures of things i have done are on disks or actualy pictures, depending o if i took them on my digital or not.

i have a tub right now full of folders. in every class at the CIA, we get two hand books plus all the notes that you accumulate so i file all that way. we have job fairs here all the time so i go grab info from the vendors and file that away. i have two buinsess card notebooks just for buinsess cards. i also have two major binders in which i keep ideas i gather from diffrent places. i dont buy magazines anymore.... i just look at them at the book store... usually a whole days project. i take notes on paper and file them away. i usually print the threads here and file them away and update the important ones.

i wish i had the time to type everything up but i dont. i have so many notes from school and other places that it just wouldnt work.

i like the idea about keeping seperate holiday menue files. i will have to do this.

i knew i should have kept everything o the computer when i started school!!!!!!!!

Joined Mar 4, 2000
Here's a link for accuchef. It was $20 to register (if I recall), and it took me over a month to enter my recipes, but I'm glad I did it. I had tried a different program before, and this one was much better. Still, it's not perfect; I would like it to do things that it can't do, but all in all, I like it. \

It can't, for example, print out several different size batches. It will only print out the main size batch, and if you want it to calculate up or down, it will only do that for you on the screen, but not on paper.

Also, the way it looks on screen is not necessarily the way your page format will be, which really irked me at first, but my husband managed to make it as close to the original as possible.

I believe you can try it out for free for a month. Play around with it. Here's the link:
http://www.accuchef.com/

Joined Jan 15, 2001
My tried and true recipes I carry with we in a 4" ring binder with page protectors(which is getting to be too big and too heavy). I made my own recipe chart(with different sized batches), save it on my computer in blank form. When I type up my recipe I use this form and then print and save it, so I have 2 copies(just in case I ever lose my book). It's saved to my hard drive and then onto a floppy disc.
I have a binder with sheet protectors for wedding cake pictures from magazines and such. For interesting recipes from the web or magazines that I may someday want to try I file them in file folders separately with headings like "breads", "cakes", "cookies", etc. I wish I could get a good computer program too.

Top Bottom