Organic vs. GMO

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by Iceman, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Iceman

Iceman

Exp:
    Professional Chef

The Organic Elite Surrenders to Monsanto: What Now?

By Ronnie Cummins 
    Organic Consumers Association, Jan 27, 2011 

[​IMG]

http://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_22449.cfm

I'm just laying this out here for discussion. I am generally an "organic" kinda guy. I do however understand that you can only fight "big money" for so long before you get crushed. Anyway, let's see what you all have to say.           

2. gunnar

gunnar

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I personally would burn Monsanto and it's affiliates to the ground and happily dance on its ashes. Their policies range from questionable to downright vile. I shouldn't say much more as I don't want people to think I am hostile.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
  3. trooper

trooper

Exp:
    Private Chef
    Tragic.

4. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I think the article is fearmongering and way over the top.

Such as

" guaranteed to lead to massive poisoning of farm workers and destruction of the essential soil food web by the toxic herbicide, Roundup". 

Roundup is applied via the irrigation water in these instances. Highly automated. Little to no human interaction and that after the fact of application and drying. 

This sort of writing does nothing for the organic movement but portray them as uneducated, unreasonable and irrational.

5. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Hm, in my experience as an Ag Engineer, I do not believe I've ever heard of Roundup® being applied in irrigation water. Especially since it acts by trans-location from green leafy plant parts to plant roots. From what I know, it is applied by spraying onto the green, growing part, of plants and has absolutely no effect on the soil.

Ah, WAIT, it "may" be applied in irrigation water IF overhead sprinkler irrigation is used, though I would think it would be frightfully expensive, running around $50/2.5 gallons or about $20/gallon. In addition, there would be high liability involved for drift onto other crops, especially as Roundup® is a non-selective herbicide, i.e. it works on ALL green material, not just weeds, unless, of course, the target is a GE variety that is resistant to Roundup®.

6. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Yes, overhead sprinkling. But you only need to include it once every few weeks, not in every watering. Nor do you wan the whole Roundup watering to supply Roundup the whole time. Only intermittently based on how fast the overhead system is moving.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
  7. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Interesting! And technology keeps changing, sometimes for the better, sometimes not.