Organic Alpine Flour from RMFM

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by kokopuffs, Aug 7, 2001.

1. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I got a sack of Alpine Flour, an organic flour to which nothing is added - neither vitamins nor minerals nor diastatic malt. The first loaf felt dense and heavy, a learning experience since it was a new flour therefore a new ball of wax.

Again, unlike most other flours, even KA's, no diastatic malt was added. That first loaf seemed light in color but the rise was just as speedy and high. To the second dough an additional 1/8 cup of water and a round teaspoon of diastatic malt were added. The crust developed to a nice, deep chocolate brown color with a very moist crumb. Tastey tastey. I'll email all of you a small piece!!!

For the $10 spent on a 50 lb bag of flour, I got quite a bargain: a tour of the mill and good tasting bread as a result. The 100 mile round trip was well worth the effort.

Their Alpine flour is 85% extraction (whole wheat is 100% and white flour 70%), 10.4% protein and 0.8% ash. The lighter protein content yields a very light crumb but yields big holes as with all of my other breads! The higher extraction rate and therefore higher ash content means a darker crust. The onsite lab technician said that there's a direct correlation between extraction rate and ash content; and, very little correlation between extraction rate and protein content (plus/minus 0.4%). :eek:

[ August 07, 2001: Message edited by: kokopuffs ]

2. katherine

katherine

Where are they located?

3. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    RMFM is located in Platteville, Colorado, about 40 miles north of Denver. Their exact address is listed in the back of the book entitled ARTISAN BAKING ACROSS AMERICA. ;)