orange mold on taleggio!

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by siduri, Dec 8, 2010.

1. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    I opened a taleggio today (it was a small one, factory wrapped so i couldn't see it, expiration date dec 26) and it was covered on the outside with an orangey mold (light orange, sort of salmon) and a couple of streaks of greenish mold. 

I'm used to other kinds of naturally moldy cheese like gorgonzola that if the mold is orange it's gone bad. 

I cut off a thick crust and used the central part since i had a dish prepared that called for it (belgian endive grilled with a little brown sugar and butter, then finished in the oven with taleggio) but should i just toss the rest?  or is it supposed to be orange (i remember it generally a sort of greyish color on the outside usually. 

2. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    Sounds alright to me, Siduri.

Taleggio is a mold-ripened cheese with an orangy-pink rind. The color becomes more pronounced with age. The cheeses are typically aged, in natural caves, for 25-40 days.

Although the rind is edible, it's a little on the gritty side, and most people scrape it away.

3. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    Thanks KY,

i was sure of having seen it with a greyish rind, but if you say it's often orange, that's fine.  It didn;t have the awful taste that orange tinged gorgonzola has - that's really vile. 

4. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    The Taleggio I buy has a light orange rind, but it doesn't look like mold. I always eat the rind.

5. bughut

bughut

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    On the east coast of Scotland there are only 2 delis i know that sell Tallegio...One in perth and one in st Andrews and they are both entirely different.

When I get it from st Andrews, the rind is orange, but very edibleand i love the flavour. But in Perth its more of a crust, especially the vertical bit, which I have to cut off. The rest I can enjoy, but as KYH says it's a tad gritty.

Gregor, my 17 yearold has discovered the joy of tallegio melted on my date and walnut bread (Mentioned on RMP's bread thread) I tasted it and WOW!

6. ishbel

ishbel

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I always buy mine at Valvona and Crolla, Bughut.

I don't like the rind of many cheeses, and so I cut it off taleggio!

7. bughut

bughut

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I take it they're in Edinburgh Ishbel. Dont get there as often as id like.Especially with the horrendous icy roads just now. BTW, here comes the 2nd wave!!

Last edited: Dec 16, 2010
  8. ishbel

ishbel

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I know!

Here's their website.  Read it and prepare to drooooool!  They do mail-order, by the way...  I went to school with daughters of the families! 

http://www.valvonacrolla.co.uk/