Orange Mint

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by porkchops, May 2, 2005.

1. porkchops

porkchops

Ok.. Seedlings are coming along. Some (ok, quite a few) have unfortunately croaked, which isn't too surprising, since it's my first year of growing anything from seed.

So anyway, I went out to my garden plot to do some weeding and I found some mint growing. I dug up most of it, since I know it's pretty invasive. But I did leave one nice clump in the corner. I'm thinking I'll get 1/2 dozen bricks and try to wall them off. It broke my heart to dig it all up, especially since my seedlings aren't as vibrant as I'd like them to be at this point.

I took one sprig home, because I wanted to find out what kind of mint it is.. and it turns out that it's orange mint.

Ok. I'm thinking maybe not the best choice for a mint julep (oh, how I love mint juleps). What should I do with this stuff? I did a search of recipies and I found an orange and arugala salad and some kind of orange juice & rum cocktail. Both used oranges or orange juice as ingredients. Is there anything I can use this for? Does it have to be used in conjunction with fruit?

(nothing against fruit or anything.)

Any ideas are much appreciated.

--P

2. chrose

chrose

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Mint can be a toughie, especially the "flavored" ones. Warmer weather is coming (except around here :mad: ) so orange mints and others can make very nice sorbets and intermezzo granites. Smoothies also. Mix it into fruit salads....ehh that's all I got for now.
    I grow Spearmint, Peppermint and Chocolate mint. The spearmints' runners are wending their way through my lawn and I don't mind. When I mow it smells great, when the pooch runs though it, she smells good for a change :D otherwise I just use it for sachets, and potpourris etc.

3. porkchops

porkchops

I don't have an ice cream maker.. so I'm guessing that sorbets are out of my reach (I need to look up granites). I WILL definitely try smoothies.

-P