Orange Juice Concentrate in Recipe for Cornbread

Joined Feb 22, 2017
I have a recipe to make cornbread and it says to add 2 tablespoons of orange juice concentrate. I do not have orange juice concentrate.Even if I did I wouldn't use it in cornbread. Question- Is the orange juice concentrate in the recipe for acidity or is it just a flavored base liquid that could be substituted with something like water or milk? It is a standard recipe, not a recipe for "Orange-y Cornbread" or something like that. Thanks in advance.

norcalbaker59

Banned
Joined Feb 16, 2017
I have a recipe to make cornbread and it says to add 2 tablespoons of orange juice concentrate. I do not have orange juice concentrate.Even if I did I wouldn't use it in cornbread. Question- Is the orange juice concentrate in the recipe for acidity or is it just a flavored base liquid that could be substituted with something like water or milk? It is a standard recipe, not a recipe for "Orange-y Cornbread" or something like that. Thanks in advance.

An acid is required if your leavening is baking soda or if there is a mixture of baking powder and baking soda.

The amount is so small and juice is a pretty poor flavoring agent to begin with. Concentrate is more flavorful than juice, but with citrus, the zest contains the oil, which is where you get the best flavor.

norcalbaker59

Banned
Joined Feb 16, 2017
Forgot to add, if it's acid you need for baking soda activation, simply substitute with baking powder. You'll have to increase the amount by 2 1/2 to 3 times.

So if your recipe is 1 tsp of baking soda, use 2 1/2 tsp or 3 tsp of baking powder.

Joined Feb 22, 2017
Thanks for the tip, that is incredibly useful information. I omitted the O.J. Concentrate and went ahead with the recipe as-was. I used a mix of fine and medium ground corn meal (and ap flour) and it had a nice interesting texture. I'm going to make again tomorrow with the O.J. concentrate that I'll buy in the morning just to see wha the real diff is. The recipe I used had baking powder only. I'd like to also try this recipe again without the oj and use corn flour and cake flour just to see what happens. I have this picture in my head for what perfect fluffy Cornbread should be whether sweet or savory.

Top Bottom