Opinions on hiring someone with a military background ?

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by nick alexander, Feb 18, 2013.

1. nick alexander

nick alexander

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Opinions on hiring someone with a military background vs a traditional culinary degree.....

I work breakfast ,lunch and banquets at a major hotel chain , while going to culinary school full time.

I don't get paid very much and I'm racking up student debts so I was considering going into the Air Force to cook instead of finishing school (for now)

I was just wondering what some executive chefs thought about hiring someone out of the military.

I'd have experience as a head chef at a mom and pop restaurant , a nice hotel , and almost 2 years at a steak house in high school. Then add the military.

Would that hold up against a kid fresh out of CIA?

2. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Military = discipline ( in my book), a good thing for cooks and chefs, /img/vbsmilies/smilies/laser.gifa characteristic often lacking in many culinary school graduates /img/vbsmilies/smilies/crazy.gif

3. poli

poli

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    I would have no problem hiring someone with military history. They can be fast, well motivated, follow direction, and listens to authority. But what you want done might be out of their capabilities. How much time do you have to train some one? Are their knife skills adequate?
    It comes down to what kind of establishment who have.

4. tjsbeer

tjsbeer

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I have hired two ex-military in the past and neither worked out. They just didn't have inate food skills. They were all mechanics and no art.

5. brandon odell

brandon odell

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I've had good luck with ex-military employees in general, but not specifically as cooks. Though I love the discipline and work ethic of ex-military employees, service doesn't replace a culinary education. Experience trumps either. Cooking in the military would be great experience for a cook position at a college, corporate, prison or catering setting, but not as much for most restaurants. Someone with restaurant specific experience and/or a culinary education would trump someone with experience cooking in the military if I were hiring for a restaurant.