Opening Numbers.....Real Numbers!!

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by justacook415, Feb 4, 2019.

1. justacook415

justacook415

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Definitely want some professional feedback on this.

About to open a place for someone. They want a payroll of 550k. The restaurant is opening with lunch, dinner, and brunch. The menu is not huge but fits those three services. My salary and my pastry chefs salary is included in the number. I'm thinking I will need about 30 people in the kitchen working both full and part time. Never mind the complete lack of even finding staff, I can't figure out how to staff a kitchen at 550k at 11% tax. Is the owner simply crazy?

The projected number for annual sales is about 3 million, although he's low balling me at 2 million. I can honestly see the place doing 6 million it's first year.

Any thoughts? I'm racking my brain trying to figure this out.

Thx!

2. sgsvirgil

sgsvirgil

Exp:
    Retired Owner/Operator
    How many tables? How many servers? Bussers or will the wait staff buss their own tables? What does a "not huge" menu mean? What sort of food? Location...i.e. strip mall? Stand alone structure? Downtown? Suburbs? Lease? Own?

There is no real way anyone can give you any sort of real advice based on the information your have provided. The more information, the better.

Cheers. :)

3. justacook415

justacook415

Exp:
    Professional Chef

The building they own, the restaurant has two floors with bars on both, and a patio. This is full service, bussers, wait staff, bartenders, the works. Menu is not huge, ie. there's not hundreds of items but perhaps 25 items for each menu. Food is new american/gastro. There is absolutely no doubt that the place will be of extreme busyness. 9k square feet of floor. How many tables is yet to be determined.

4. Mischief

Mischief

Exp:
    Executive Chef
    Well, I'm assuming with the 415 in your name, you're in San Francisco. With that in mind, I see a simple breakdown of the allotted money as something like:

Executive Chef: $65,000
    Sous Chef $55,000
    10 full time employees ($40 hrs/wk) at $15/hr= $312,000
    8 part time employees (20 hrs/wk) at $15/hr=$124,800

Total $556,800

No way in hell you can afford to pay 30 employees at $15/hr which is the minimum wage in SF I believe. If you don't have to pay $15/hr, then it could be doable. That's a fairly low salary for a SF executive chef too, hopefully this breakdown can help you figure it out or convince ownership that a few extra hands would be worth it.

millionsknives likes this.
  5. justacook415

justacook415

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    That's actually a pretty good answer. I'm doing this place outside Chicago. I'm at 80k, plus my pastry/baker is at 50k. No Sous yet and maybe wont be. Plus there's 11% tax out here. The very minimum is roughly 730k.

But the place will need 25/30 BOH staff at various pay, part time and full time. I'm actually phasing myself out of the project simply because this owner is completely bonkers. It's fun because I get to interview people for my own job!!

Mischief likes this.