Opening A Bistro For The FIrst Time Need Advice

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by 3 o'clock, Feb 27, 2018.

1. 3 o'clock

3 o'clock

Exp:
    Start up bistro
    Hello everyone, I am in the early stages of opening up my first very small bistro and after a little advice. What is the best way to safely keep warm for example a classic Beef Bourguignon? For example if I make a massive batch in the day is it best to cool down then reheat later for service or better to slowly cook longer and keep warm during service (obviously at safe temperatures). If to keep warm would you suggest a baine marie? Sorry if an obvious question to the professionals but we all need to start somewhere. Any other advice for a newbie on prepping for an easier service would be most welcomed. Thank you.

2. someday

someday

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Oy. How are you going to run a successful business when you don't know the answer to such questions? The best thing to do would be to heat it to order. There isn't a reason why you shouldn't do that. It will make everything taste fresher and better...not like soup that has been on the heat for 3 hours.

Usually you don't "start" with opening a bistro. I hope it goes well for you...

sgsvirgil and linecookliz like this.
  3. sgsvirgil

sgsvirgil

Exp:
    Retired Owner/Operator
    The term "keep warm" does not belong in your kitchen. That is where you can get into some serious trouble. Please hire an experienced chef or maybe spend some time working in a commercial kitchen for a year or two before you do this.

Make everything you can to order. Things like Bourguignon can't be kept hot all day and still retain any acceptable level of quality. Chilling and reheating repeatedly will cause it to spend to much time in the temperature "danger zone."

You are going to have to make these things ahead of time and chill them properly until they are ready to be heated and served.

Are you sure you're ready to open your own place??

4. cstanford

cstanford

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Make and refrigerate. It tastes better on day two a lot of times anyway. Reheat portions, obviously not the entire batch. Reheat with a little stock added, but stock that you've brought to a full rolling boil first right before you reheat the portion.

You obviously need to refrigerate in containers and not try to chill down the entire, huge batch.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
  5. chefwriter

chefwriter

Exp:
    Professional Cook
    Before adding to this thread, I'm hoping 3 o'clock comes back and isn't a one off.