open kitchen or closed kitchen

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by andrew563, Oct 23, 2005.

1. andrew563

andrew563

Okay what does everyone prefer open or closed. One where the only way you see the dining room and the guests is when the double doors open and you get a quick peek, or when its all wide open for everyone to see. I myself prefer an open kitchen. I love the rapport I get with the guests when they come in and leave. The sparkle in their eye when they have had an awesome experience.

2. castironchef

castironchef

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    Open. Of course, one has to watch one's language. A small price . . . .

3. tripps11

tripps11

Open, But that is only if one has control of their kitchen. If it is crazy with people running around looking like chickens with their heads cut off, you don't want the customers to see that, then again what good chef doesn't have control of his/her kitchen.

4. even stephen

even stephen

I have always prefered an open kitchen. It promotes uniformity in
    kitchen staff dress code. It also promotes a sense of pride and an
    added need for self control in respect to line cooks. Probably the
    most import thing is the proximity to the dining room. There are virtually
    never any heat lamps to speak of on an expo line. The food is that
    much closer to the customer. Because of appearances the line cooks
    have to produce food in union. Never one dish far ahead of the rest.
    The communication with the guests can also be pleasant, to a point.

Then there is the down side. I have had a gas explosion from a fryer
    on an expo line. I have also had a police chase ending up with a
    Ford F150 in the restaurant dining room. You also will eventually
    end up with cooks that stare at customers or you may even get
    a new cook one day who picks his nose or ears inadvertently. In
    restaurants it is always a mixed bag of nuts!!!

5. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    That's a good one. :)

6. mikeb

mikeb

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    I prefer a closed kitchen. All too many times I've had a dozen or more tickets in my window and then the customers decide that's the perfect time to strike up a conversation with the kitchen. Open kitchens are fun sometimes - on slower nights when customers want to watch you cook you can put on a little show, but I still prefer a closed kitchen.

7. gus20

gus20

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    Well, i think an open and a closed kitchen has good and bad things. Maybe it can sounds silly but im in the beggining.

When i was in open kitchen i had to say "good morning" ,, "thanks for coming",, i had to smile all day (it was an obligation), it wasnt bad,,, but many time customers came and asked me, i want some butter,, i want some napkins,,,(we had to say ask to ur waiter please) , but it was difficult to work with some much people asking u everytime. A good thing was my boss couldnt shout me, im a little sensitive maybe but when someone shouts me i feel angry and very sad for long days, it makes me feel very bad. Well in a closed kitchen i feel more confortable for cooking, nobody is checking if im smiling or not, hehe,, thats it

Gus

8. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Open if I'm the diner....even Waffle House holds an attraction for me, love the way they have a system for each menu item.

Closed if I'm cooking...unless it's the open stage of the market when I work at my speed.....last Christmas I was cooking for a dinner and behind the eight ball, the rental company left out the clamps for the S table skirting and it backed up the event....guests coming through to tour the kitchen during preparations....it was one of my least favorite parties of all time.

9. botanique

botanique

Exp:
    Other

10. fatchef

fatchef

I have the open. Great when none of your cooks speak enough English to be able to offend people!

11. lwp

lwp

I like closed. I prefer not having to interrupt what I'm doing while somebody tells me how the Iron Chef made that same dish using platypus liver instead of lamb.

12. andrew563

andrew563

I don't know, maybe I just like the ego boost. I absolutely love display/open kitdhens. yeah, you got to watch your language, you have to be neater and cleaner about everything. But, dang, its like a show on the food net work only live! And you are the star! I really think the dining public love it also. They want the flames of the pans, the smoke from the broiler. Seeing all of us moving at 120 miles an hour. Dining is not just about going out to a very formal setting. Its becoming a performing art. And we are the actors. I love it!

13. general

general

I have worked as a waiter in both (yes, I know, you all hate me now and will ignore my post :p) and I prefer the open. There are many benefits to it and I'm sure that you could design things to minimize the drawbacks. First, it is a great show. It doesn't have to be the focus of what you're doing, but it is always nice for the guests to be able to see things going on. Second, it really gives people confidence in what they are eating. If they don't know your establishment, they can take a peek at the kitchen and see how clean and well organized I hope you are. It also creates a culture to the place. People can see/hear what goes on in a real kitchen. It can be a marketing point in that you can use space for a kitchen table or counterspace that would otherwise be dead space in your restaurant.

I don't recall many times anyone on the hot line being bothered for anything. I would suggest keeping the open kitchen away from the flow of traffic around the restaurant. Also, you want to be sure that people can't just walk up onto the line or can bother the chefs so you need to keep it spaced out properly.

14. vertigo

vertigo

so far ive only ever worked in closed kitchens and while i would like to work in an open one sometime i think it would get old fast. im nervous enough when trying to finish a dish with an overzealous runner glaring at me, let alone a dining room full of customers. i mean it is a great show for the diners but id rather not be part of the focus. not to mention, i cant imagine having to behave myself on the line.

15. abefroman

abefroman

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Closed, ur gonna give out your secret recipe? :confused:

16. paul

paul

Rapport is great, but, I prefer a closed kitchen because I reserve the right to spit in the food of customers that wear bow-ties to my restaurant

17. andrew563

andrew563

I hope thats a joke

beecher likes this.
  18. lwp

lwp

I don't know if it was or not... but I'm definitely adding it to my list of rules. :p :D

beecher likes this.
  19. lukeygina

lukeygina

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I cannot STAND to have some as$hole staring me down as I make his pizza or some italian dish.

Although I've only worked at 1 open kitchen, I didn't enjoy it needless to say.

20. chefphilhahn

chefphilhahn

Open. I get to show off. It makes this cooking thing we do all worth while to impress them with a show as well as with our great food.

beecher likes this.