Oooorah!

Discussion in 'New User Introductions' started by semperchef, May 29, 2003.

1. semperchef

semperchef

Hello, Everyone!

My name is Laurie and I am missing the community and camraderie of Chefs, so I thought I would hang out here from time to time.

My quick history - until recently been an Exec. Chef with a very large private club and resort corporation for the past 4 or so years, prior to that ran a bakery, free standing high end restaurants, wrote the newsletters, taught apprentices, did stage classes at local conventions, represented the restaurants in the media (print, television, radio) through interviews, classes and cooking live, had the great fortune to go to the IKA HOGA as an apprentice when that area was still West Germany :) Basically, lots of fun stuff with lots of great Chefs who taught me everything I know by kicking my butt everyday. You know the drill ;)

I am currently married to a MARINE and I adore my husband and am very proud to be his wife and in the company of such an awesome group of people. Actually, one of my first and meanest Chefs was a Marine and I learned a lot from him. I can't recall if I learned more when I was hacked off or when I was calm, but you know how that goes. :chef: Been married a short time and for now, we have decided that with his projected schedule of schooling and deployments for the next 4-5 years that my days of working 12-16-20 hour shifts are over for the time being. I need to look for alternatives.

In the area I am currently at, there are a lot of great restaurants to the North of me, and it just kills me that traffic is so bad that it would literally take me more than an hour (sometimes 2-3, if my friends are correct) to get to work. I thought I would take a bit of a vacation, and practice being a good housewife (to which my husband chokes and laughs at that idea) while he is stationed here. Got a little bored and so now I teach classes at Semper Fit on the base, teach classes in homes to local culinary enthusiasts, volunteer for various activities, and this week will start creating and moderating the culinary section of a website for Military Spouses.

In about 1-2 months I will be moving to the Pensacola area for a couple of years and HOPEFULLY will be close enough to some really cool places that I can at least work during the day either learning something new or doing something fun. I lost most of my "IT girl chef ego" a few years back when I realized I was taking life so seriously I forgot to smile now and again, so I am pretty open minded about what I do next in this field. I think it would be a blast to learn about catering, or a whole different style of cuisine or heck, even style of Chef.

That's about it for me. Nice ta meetya :chef:
    Laurie

2. miahoyhoy

miahoyhoy

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Hello Laurie,
    And Welcome!

It's always nice to add new members to the group. I look forward to having you around!

lates,
    Jon

3. katbalou

katbalou

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    hi laurie,
    i visited that area a few years back and you're right - there's nothing there for restaurants! try down by lejeune - i'm not sure which area is worse! i sometimes think of moving down to jacksonville and opening a restaurant, with a captive audience of about 49,000 marines i think i could do pretty well (being married to a retired marine doesn't hurt in that area either). everything was a chain down there - and that stuff they drink called "sweet tea" has enough sugar to keep you going for a week!
    is your husband in officer school? or there for other training?
    any way welcome to the board. :)
    kat

4. semperchef

semperchef

He's here for TBS, then after that on to flight school. He's a Mustang Marine, so he is going through TBS with a bunch of guys younger than he is (and I am older than my husband). I went to the commissary and it was probably the first time I shopped in a grocery store in ...oh... say years. It was a nightmare to get used to at first! And not a lot of choice.

I have have thought the same thing you have - these bases need a DECENT restaurant close by. If I knew we were going to stay in this area, I would open up something in Qtown. What a steal!! Even a good quality pizza place in Qtown would make the big bucks. I am surprized Dominoes or Pizza Hut isn't in there.

As far as sweet tea goes - I actually had to make some for the first time 2 weeks ago. I don't drink or make tea and can't fathom why someone would willingly drink sweet tea. But apparently, my husband does :eek: He's from Texas, so that explains a lot! I had to ask a friend on base to show me how to make it and she was laughing the whole time over the idea of me asking HER to make sweet tea. Go figure.

Jon, your place sounds cool. Wish I was close enough to eat there or hang out for a while. Maybe someday.

Thanks for the welcome, guys.
    Laurie

5. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Welcome to Chef Talk, Laurie. We'll look forward to your posts.

About the Pizza Hut or Dominoes: I read once that reporters can tell when "something's up" by how busy the pizza delivery places get. (People working late on intense projects might order food in.) The press watched the White House and used what they learned to ask questions that were not very welcome.

It actually sounds kind of clever to have figured that out, but I can see why the bigwigs would be peeved! Maybe that's why such businesses are not around the base. Maybe it has nothing at all to do with it, and I've been reading too many spy novels! :rolleyes:

Anyway, we're glad you found us!

6. mike

mike

Hello Laurie,
    Phew what a bio it wore me out just reading it. Welcome.
    Your pizza pad idea sounds a good opportunity.Im a great believer in gut instincts & with such a large captive market on your doorstep I suggest you do some research into how many customers your competition are feeding & get some idea of the viability of a new place. **** you could get hubbie to airdrop promo leaflets over the base!!!!
    Good luck on your proposed website if you need any British info
    or contributions just let me know.

chow

7. katbalou

katbalou

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    dear laurie,
    congratulations to the mustang. that takes a lot of hard work and effort to get there. you must be very proud of him.
    as to the commissaries they take a little bit of getting used to.... i usually stock up on staples and meats, which up here are generally way cheaper than the local grocery stores. i have a couple of links to military commissary sights, pm me if you want them. they update you on the sales and other military info.
    of course my son is very envious of your closeness to all that neat stuff on sale in the exchange with the marine emblem emblazoned on it! that was where we did our souvenir shopping when we were there! he's just a future little jarhead in the making.
    kat

8. ronn

ronn

Not like Im an old timer myself but...HI:p