Online School...

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by brexs, May 12, 2005.

1. brexs

brexs

I saw a thread around here speaking of an online culinary school. Even better, I believe it was free. I'm a food lover, if my first passion wasn't film I'd sign up for culinary school in no time. Are there any online schools or courses I can take at home?

2. headless chicken

headless chicken

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Not that I know of but I also can't see an online course being very effective in training you professionally if thats what your goal is. Theres too much hands on stuff you need to know and see to get a good idea on what you have to do. If you want to take up cooking as an interest or even to open up as a career option, take night coarses.

3. frizbee

frizbee

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I know for a fact that the Art institute offers solely online a Food Service Management B.S. (because that is what i am going to do) to qualify you must already have attained a pastry or culinary A.S. because when you progress to the B.S. level it’s all bookwork and all of the hands on stuff is done.
    As far as a culinary program online, I have to agree with headless….it would be pointless I feel because how to you properly describe what a blond roux should smell like until you see the color and your instructor says see that is the smell, or something as subjective as that.
    I am not sure where you love but check into your local community college, many these days are offering specialty cooking classes like summer salads, or Italian or whatever. It’s usually a one night class, and I have heard you can learn a lot.
    Frizbee

4. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Don't know of any online culinary schools, but the Wine Spectator does offer an online wine school. Not cheap though, and definately not free, but it is a good course. I took their "professionals" course, for about $250 plus buying the wines, but it was a great course and I needed to brush up on my wine knowledge as it had suffered due to the lack of wine exposure during my last 3 jobs.

5. redace1960

redace1960

eGullet.com
    ive been lurking there and it's great. but you have to have the practical....even taking one of the shortie cooking courses that some kitchenware retailers offer-anything to give you some hands-on or else it becomes a case of 'the more you read the less you know' real quick!

6. redace1960

redace1960

d'oh! a little quick on the trigger finger there. i don't want to misrepresent myself as a chef; im not. just someone who knew an answer to the question!