Online school opinion

Discussion in 'Choosing A Culinary School' started by jorswors, Dec 10, 2014.

1. jorswors

jorswors

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Hey guys,
    Ive been working in culinary for 12 years of which 4 years as cook,4 as chef de cuisine,1 as executive chef and the last 3 as yacht/private chef.
    I attended the art institutes culinary program in pursuit of a BA in culinary management. I completed one year and a semester because class schedules changed and I couldn't run my kitchen while attending school anymore. The "course scheduling lady" asked me word for word "do you want to go to school or work". Naturally I said to f**k off. This was 6 years ago.
    I never really needed the paper, but I feel it would really help now that I am working in the private sector.

I work on yachts and for private families now and everything is great, but as a personal accomplishment I want to get my degree.

Here's my dilemma, I don't have the time to commit to class schedules and I travel constantly. When I say constantly I mean all the f**king time. So I thought about doing it online at escoffier international online culinary school. On the website it said it is accredited by ACF?

ANYA recommendations or input would be awesome!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2014
  2. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    My first suggestion would be to think about the language that I use. If you wouldn't use certain words when interviewing for a job with private families or for a yacht position, why use them here?

When you were working as a chef de cuisine and later as an executive chef what would be your opinion of an applicant with a certificate of completion from an online school?

The school you mentioned is not accredited so no degree is received upon completion of coursework. What is received is a certificate of completion.

They recommend spending 5-10 hours a week for 4-6 months in order to complete their course. That is about the equivalent of 2-3 normal work weeks for someone in the profession. Not an overly impressive amount of time.

In all honesty, I would probably have a hard time viewing graduation from an online culinary school as a significant event.