Online programs for Culinary arts

Discussion in 'Choosing A Culinary School' started by rafolin idiaz, Feb 15, 2017.

1. rafolin idiaz

rafolin idiaz

Exp:
    Other
    HI,Im a teacher and want a career switch
    I'm looking for online programes ,but i'm not sure if its a good option
    As far as i know online programes is never comparable to on campus ones .

Please suggest any course or degree, which is worth the effort and time .I need something that can help me persue a career in future something of worth in real world
    I was researching on Le Cordon Bleu online degree and i have heard there are many schools for online education
    but can someone with a relevent experience help me ?

thank you

2. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
    There are a few but I don't think online is how you learn to cook. One school that was reviewed on ChefTalk is: 

You may be tired of your current career but if you have not cooked professional before you should do that first for 6 months to a year before committing to culinary school. Cooking professional can seem very exciting the first year or two. Try to think 5-10 years down the road when you are working every weekend, every night 60 - 70 hours a week. No time for family, friends, relationships are difficult. It is a tough gig and before you make the switch realize that there is a big difference between "I love to cook" and "I love to cook professionally".

3. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Hi,

As a teacher you understand learning. We can learn by memory, we can retain facts, we can (hopefully) apply what we have learned.

Cooking is a combination on muscle memory, skills, constant thinking and planning the next step on your feet.  You will need lots of repetition to master any skill, and this repetition should be repeated under someone who can constantly review and critique your skill.

On line may be great to learn facts, but it won't talk back to you.

nicko likes this.
  4. norcalbaker59

norcalbaker59 Banned

Exp:
    Other
    Personally I don't think online learning is an effective way to learn to cook and bake. While procedure and methods can be explained, there's no way to see, smell, feel, and most importantly, taste the dish as properly prepared by a good chef instructor. While I've not attended a culinary school, I've taken a a slew of culinary classes from one day classes, to week long, full day intensive workshops. A lot goes wrong in the classroom--but that's needed. Understanding why a dish failed is a critical part of learning how to prepare it correctly. Equally important is learning how to, if possible, recuse a dish on the brink of fail. Cooking and baking is a hands-on experience, a total immersion of all your senses, a combination of science, creativity--and eternal hope;)