Online Ordering, The future of business?

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by stevetamer, May 5, 2012.

1. stevetamer

stevetamer

Exp:
    At home cook
    last summer I was away on business in Australia, at a meeting we had the opportunity to test link deleted services and we´re very pleased by how easy and fast service,

So, what do you think about this services?

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2012
  2. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    ?????????????????????

3. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Have no idea what you are talking about????but maybe they do in Australia

4. chefhow

chefhow

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    We have several businesses in my area that offer online ordering for both delivery and pickup, but I prefer human interaction

5. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    SYSCO has been involved in this for years.

6. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Since at least 1998.

7. zoebisch

zoebisch

Exp:
    Other
    I typically order Spam from those sites.  It makes delivery easy.

8. allanmcpherson

allanmcpherson

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Swell, I finally just got this carrier pidgeon thing down...

9. zoebisch

zoebisch

Exp:
    Other
    Man, competing with Mike Tyson...Kudos!

10. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Large food companies love thi,s as in many cases it cuts or lowers or simply replaces salesman and their commissions. I don't like it because the many new things I see are shown to me by salesmam.

11. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    One of the worst sales reps I had would come in every few months and tell me that this went up almost 30 cents a lb more, or that had gone up by 20% and that the other thing was discontinued.  I looked him straight in the eye and asked him, when he drives his car, if he put out his signal light before making a turn, during, or after making the turn.

He looked at me kinda funny and asked what this had to do with the price of canned tomatoes.

I told him if I knew when he did that this or that would be going up in the next few weeks that I could stock up and buffer the costs a bit, if that was discontinued I could take a week or so to find a suitable replacement without scrambling.

He never "got it".  Passing information on like that to the customer was worse than insider trading as far as he was concerned.....

I doubt if online ordering gives you any advance information

12. duckfat

duckfat

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I remember getting that beast of a computer in my office back in '98 from Sysco. As much as I really dislike Sysco the on line ordering was nice because I didn't have to deal with a salesman. I really never wanted to be bothered with a sales rep samples unless it was a fish monger or a Meat purveyor. Food shows were good for that. On line ordering never gave me any heads up on price changes that I recall but it was easy to compare multiples brands of a given product.

The less I had to see the Sysco Schmo the happier I was.

Dave

13. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I dislike sysco period. They try and switch you to their brand because they make more. If they are out of something that yo specified they send another brand. If I spec Hellmans I want Hellmans not Imperial, there are reasons for this. They also have different prices for everyone. One day I had a truck come with about 2500.00 in assorted stuff. On bottom of last page of invoice they tried to charge a delivery fee. This is already in their selling price, I refused order . Within 5 minutes they called very apolagetic.. I wonder why? I also laugh when they try and sell meat, hardly any of them know the slightest thing about it.

14. itswhoiam

itswhoiam

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I'm with you. I have a corporate contract the requires me to use sysco and I hate them. I have the same issues as you described. The problem is, I cant refuse the order, I get about 9 to 12 grand a week in product from them and because our operating cost is so high, I keep inventory at a bare minimum. I wont make it to the next delivery, or have time to wait for a return call....and there produce sucks!