Onion rings

Joined Jun 24, 2021
I own a restaurant and I am currently having trouble having trouble getting onion rings from my distributors. We are trying to make our own but we are having issues. We dip the onion in a batter, let the excess drip off then dip in panko. We need to be able to freeze them. The problem we are having is deep frying from frozen is causing the batter to pull away from the onion. Any suggestions? Thanks

Joined May 5, 2010
The usual culprit here is placing too many onion rings in the fryer at once. This causes the fryer grease to lower in temperature and the breading can not adhere to the rings.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
The guy who runs the food truck where I work told me he can't get onion rings either. I think you have to dust them in flour first before battering.

Joined Jun 7, 2021
Cut rings, dredge in seasoned flour, then egg wash, then in breadcrumbs. Place on cooling rack and let sit for 5 minutes. Place in 360' F. oil, taking care to not over crowd the frying basket. In fact, it's best to place onion rings into the hot oil one at a time, one right after the other, so they don't stick together. This is especially true if the onion rings are dredged in flour, then batter, and fried.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Top Bottom