One paring knife, which one?

Joined Apr 13, 2015
So, I have picked up a tojiro dp chef's knife and I have a vic paring knife ... im looking to get a second paring knife - something a little higher quality.

If you were going to purchase one paring knife - which would it be?

Joined Nov 15, 2012
It does matter what you intend to use it for.  I love my little $10 Robert Herder 85mm.  1mm carbon blade that flat tapers from spine to .12mm at the edge, and with little effort I've made it even thinner than that.  Takes a very steep edge very easily.  I bevel it only on the right side.

I use it for skiving lemon peel to the perfect spritzing thickness.  In all honesty I don't use parers for much.

Rick

Last edited:
Joined Jan 14, 2016
I can recommend the MAC HB-40 Chefs pairing knife.  I have a Global, but I love this pairing knife, the MAC stays really sharp a long time.  The birds beak version PK-25 is tempting, you could get something that can tackle some other jobs. Its not a ton of money, don't know if thats enough of a step up, depends on which Victorinox you have.

I am no expert, but fits my hand perfectly - I have medium-large hands.

Here is a couple of pictures from the web.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
Another really nice paring knife is the Shun Classic - probably one of the best from that line.  Excellent fit and finish and they get stupid sharp.  The Chef's knives should have that profile.

Joined Nov 15, 2012
There's a lot of things their chefs knife should have.

Again your usage determines the particular parer.  I personally would never consider one in VG-10 steel, doesn't do well at steep angles, and an especially big pain to sharpen to that.  Carbon and AEB-L on the other hand are made for this, SG-2/R2 also.

Last edited:
Top Bottom