One paring knife, which one?

Discussion in 'Cooking Knife Reviews' started by bobtheman, Mar 18, 2016.

1. bobtheman

bobtheman

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    So, I have picked up a tojiro dp chef's knife and I have a vic paring knife ... im looking to get a second paring knife - something a little higher quality.

If you were going to purchase one paring knife - which would it be?

2. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
  3. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
  4. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Yup Del makes one of my favorite parers.  His AEB-L blades are hard to beat.  MM's are the old style profile the newer ones are more gyuto like.  

Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
  5. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    It does matter what you intend to use it for.  I love my little $10 Robert Herder 85mm.  1mm carbon blade that flat tapers from spine to .12mm at the edge, and with little effort I've made it even thinner than that.  Takes a very steep edge very easily.  I bevel it only on the right side.

I use it for skiving lemon peel to the perfect spritzing thickness.  In all honesty I don't use parers for much.

Rick

Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
  6. oetzi

oetzi

Exp:
    At home cook
    I can recommend the MAC HB-40 Chefs pairing knife.  I have a Global, but I love this pairing knife, the MAC stays really sharp a long time.  The birds beak version PK-25 is tempting, you could get something that can tackle some other jobs. Its not a ton of money, don't know if thats enough of a step up, depends on which Victorinox you have.

I am no expert, but fits my hand perfectly - I have medium-large hands.

Here is a couple of pictures from the web.

7. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Another really nice paring knife is the Shun Classic - probably one of the best from that line.  Excellent fit and finish and they get stupid sharp.  The Chef's knives should have that profile.

8. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    There's a lot of things their chefs knife should have.

Again your usage determines the particular parer.  I personally would never consider one in VG-10 steel, doesn't do well at steep angles, and an especially big pain to sharpen to that.  Carbon and AEB-L on the other hand are made for this, SG-2/R2 also.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016