Once in a lifetime treat.

Discussion in 'Pairing Food and Wine' started by chefross, Jan 6, 2014.

1. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    http://www.cheftalk.com/content/type/61/id/91349/width/200/height/400[/IMGdom 1998
    ....and[GALLERY="media, 91351"][/GALLERY]
    And a 96 Lafite Rothschild Pauillac

I got a sip of each. How cool

bugnbean and brandon odell like this.
  2. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    How cool is that! Back in 1980, I was managing a place and we had a table order a 1961. It was my honor to open and decant it. The guests graciously offered a me taste in the process which I naturally accepted. What a treat! This profession may be made of blood, sweat, and tears; but it does have it's bennies.

3. kaiquekuisine

kaiquekuisine

Exp:
    Line Cook
    I loved working weddings (especially those fancy kind, with lots of well dressed guests)

If they are nice to the kitchen staff they usually give us cake XD. 

Drinking Caiprinhas (traditional brazilian alcoholic drink) and other liquor during clean up was fun too. 

That or when i get to eat the left over icecream or pie , after the end of service.

I remeber during a wine pairing , i got to drink basically a half a bottle of Ken Forester Renegade.... obivously service was over lol. 

Strange how the little things in ones life when they work in a kitchen can mean so much lololol. 

4. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
    That is awesome I an happy for you what an amazing treat.

5. jmon13

jmon13

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    Must of been awesome.

6. brandon odell

brandon odell

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Awesome. My first "Oh, NOW I get it!" moment with wine came while working a retirement party catering for an aircraft company exec in 1993. He brought two cases of '79 Lafite and two cases of '79 Margauex out of his cellar. Generous host. All the staff got a glass of one or the other in addition to a Cuban cigar. At 19 years old, I still hadn't ever had a wine I liked. A glass of Lafite from a perfect vintage fixes that really quick.

bugnbean likes this.