On this eve, what does your oven hold?

Discussion in 'The Late Night Cafe (off-topic)' started by jim berman, Dec 24, 2010.

1. jim berman

jim berman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    All through the house, the smell of Rosemary-crusted turkey nestled upon root vegetables does waft. The sweet potatoes tossed with chunks of apples with butter and quince doth roast away. A cherry pie topped with oatmeal and apricot crumble waits it's turn to gather under the fire.

What are you making tonight?

2. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I'm doing another crown rack of pork this year. I've not settled on seasoning for sure. Rosemary, lemon and garlic are a distinct possibility.

Risotto, salad, dithering over a soup, have a couple of possibilities in the fridge for vegies.

I still have a lot up in the air about it all. I've a few hours to pin it down yet.

Phil

3. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Tonight it's only 3 of us here, so there was no need to get a Turkey. While I'd have liked a capon I couldn't find one around here. I bought a very nice large chicken. I'm stuffing it with chestnut, ground pork, chicken liver, shallots, raisins in port wine, a bit of sour cream and some parsley, and roasting it. It will be served with chestnuts "au jus" and sauteed wild mushrooms with garlic and parsley.

4. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    Love the menus....but this year my sister is "Allowing Me" the privilege of dining at her table. Since they only eat seafood and fish I am dying to see what she is planning. Two times I have had to put the phone down and tap my hand ......whatever she serves will be a delight I am sure.

Today at work fish was asked . cream of mushroom C ( C- means with) a light truffle oil, tri color pepper/ miniature choux C mousse de foie gras

salmon C pickled beetroot, horseradish , infused with leek and cauliflower cream, served with quinoa and cranberry pilaf spoon sized.

dessert, lime cake with chocolate mousse C a coconut custard swoosh , garnished with candied orange slice dipped in chocolate.

Lamb, meat , poultry .....today , fish.

5. iplaywithfire

iplaywithfire

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Roasted ham with apple-brandy-sage reduction.  Roasted garlic mashers.  Orange-cranberry (might toss some juniper in there) candied carrots.  Caramel creme brule with mulled peaches.  And, of course, the families obligatory fruit salad.  Sadly, I did not have the time to make some fresh bread this year. 

6. headless chicken

headless chicken

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Thanksgiving and Christmas tends to be one of those "all hands on board" affairs involving virtually the whole family.  I'm pumping out 3 pies (a lemon meringue, an apple pie, and an apple crumble) plus home made stuffing and I already did my Christmas cookies.  I think mom making cottage rolls, I think my uncles are doing the turkey.

7. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Hah!  What nerve.

This year we are having Veal roast, asparagus, crab.  Basically veal oscar.  :)