? on simple sirup yield

Joined Dec 31, 2017
Is it normal to get more volume of simple sirup than the initial water contribution? I just made a rich simple sirup for the first time (3 cups sugar dry weight to 1.5 cups water liquid weight.) I got about 3 cups of sirup from the process. It’s viscous and very sweet so I don’t think I screwed up and accidentally started with too much water. I can see how sugar might volumize the water but I thought making simple sirup was a reducing process. Thanks.

Joined Dec 18, 2010
I never considered the change of volume, but always thought simple syrup was 1:1. I would expect a greater volume than just the water volume since the sugar has volume too. I think what you made was either medium or heavy syrup... but is have to look up the definitions to be sure.

Joined Aug 15, 2003
You made double syrup, not simple syrup. Simple syrup is indeed 1:1 ratio, usually by weight.

And yes, you will increase volume when you make it. Making SS isn't a reducing process you just heat it up to dissolve the sugar.

Joined May 5, 2010
When canning fruits in syrup...there are categories of viscosity. Light, medium, and heavy. Each has its own ratio.
Reduction is not necessary.

Top Bottom