omelette question

Joined Jun 27, 2012
If that is what I had on hand yes.

If I were making a list...a soft creamy something with a bit of dill or dried tomato (or both) would be my choice.

mimi

Last edited:
Joined Sep 18, 2010
 Smoked Salmon  Omelette .I have whenever I can.  In Las Vegas hotel buffets with an Omelette  station I looked for smoked salmon where you usually find it next to the breads and the bagels and get some there and then take it to the omelette station to put id in my Omelette since they never have the salmon there, just the usual onions ,peppers , ham and cheese, and crumbled bacon if you are lucky

Joined Sep 18, 2010
And I forgot. On cruise ships you might find some kind of smoked fish at their breakfast buffets. Also delicious in an omelette.

Joined Feb 8, 2009
Yes you can but, is it the best cheese to use. I know thats not the question. I would use a soft smooth cheese if I were to use smoked salmon. I find when I put Muzzarella or even provolone in a omelet it doesn't do as well as other cheese. 

nicko

Founder of Cheftalk.com
Staff member
Joined Oct 5, 2001
I used to think like this and now I honestly don't care. The omelette police won't come and arrest you. Once, when I was cooking breakfast at the four seasons hotel a woman ordered an omelette with strawberries in it. The smoked salmon sounds great and mozzeralla sounds like a nice addition. To compliment the smoke of the salmon add smoked mozzarella. Again let me emphasize the omelette police won't come and arrest you. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

If you are concerned about anything be more concerned about an improperly made omelette. That is a far greater travesty then odd combinations. 

Joined Sep 18, 2010
Omelette  confiture  is for most European Chefs an old but forgotten classic

Joined Apr 3, 2008
I used to think like this and now I honestly don't care. The omelette police won't come and arrest you. Once, when I was cooking breakfast at the four seasons hotel a woman ordered an omelette with strawberries in it. The smoked salmon sounds great and mozzeralla sounds like a nice addition. To compliment the smoke of the salmon add smoked mozzarella. Again let me emphasize the omelette police won't come and arrest you. :)

If you are concerned about anything be more concerned about an improperly made omelette. That is a far greater travesty then odd combinations. 

I'm not concerned about the omelet police, I am concerned about the flavor. I made it yesterday and I did not like it.

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
smoke is often a strong flavor--generally.  Mozzarella and eggs are milder flavors. I think you need something to stand up to the smoke more. Maybe caramelized onions, maybe dill/chives. Capers could do it too with some sour/salt impact.  And for a stronger cheese, something is a swiss/emmentaler/goutaler family would be more to my taste in this application, used with a light hand. 

Joined Apr 3, 2008

smoke is often a strong flavor--generally.  Mozzarella and eggs are milder flavors. I think you need something to stand up to the smoke more. Maybe caramelized onions, maybe dill/chives. Capers could do it too with some sour/salt impact.  And for a stronger cheese, something is a swiss/emmentaler/goutaler family would be more to my taste in this application, used with a light hand. 
I usually adore mozzarella in my omelets.  And there were plenty of scallions in there.  Smoked salmon and mozzarella just didn't work for me.  I'm hesitant to try any cheese with it.

Joined May 27, 2013
The only dairy products listed in my flavor bible are cream cheese, butter, cream, creme faiche, marscapone, sour cream, and some say yogurt. Mozzarella isn't "creamy" enough. 

There are many many more combos, obviously, but pernod caught my eye. With asparagus? Rocket maybe? 

One "affinity" was smoked salmon with scrambled egg, chives, dill, potatoes. Many include lemon juice or zest. 

Another one included horseradish, cucumber, and mint with smoked salmon. Interesting. I'd actually try that as an omelette for sh*ts and giggles.  

I personally mix other stiffer cheeses when I use mozzarella for omelettes. As was suggested already, what about a stronger cheese as a supplement? Gouda perhaps?

Smokey ingredients need to be used sparingly, imo. They can overpower quickly. How much did you use? Was it crumbled up or in chunks?

Joined Nov 15, 2012
I'd vote Smoked Gouda in place of the Mozz.

Salmon would go nice I'd think with one of my omelette additive favs, sauteed summer squash and onion with coriander seed, maybe even use dill instead of coriander.

Joined Jun 16, 2007
That reminds me. I have some lox, ends and pieces, that I haven't finished yet. I will mix that lox in with some eggs and some parsley for eggs and lox. Both eggs and lox will be cooked only 'til the proteins just start firming up.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom