omelette question

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by koukouvagia, Nov 12, 2016.

1. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Can I put smoked salmon and mozzarella in an omelette?  Would that be a no no?

2. chefwriter

chefwriter

Exp:
    Professional Cook
    Only if you don't like smoked salmon and mozzarella.

3. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    If that is what I had on hand yes.

If I were making a list...a soft creamy something with a bit of dill or dried tomato (or both) would be my choice.

mimi

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
  4. berndy

berndy

Exp:
    Retired Chef
     Smoked Salmon  Omelette .I have whenever I can.  In Las Vegas hotel buffets with an Omelette  station I looked for smoked salmon where you usually find it next to the breads and the bagels and get some there and then take it to the omelette station to put id in my Omelette since they never have the salmon there, just the usual onions ,peppers , ham and cheese, and crumbled bacon if you are lucky

5. berndy

berndy

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    And I forgot. On cruise ships you might find some kind of smoked fish at their breakfast buffets. Also delicious in an omelette.

6. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Yes you can but, is it the best cheese to use. I know thats not the question. I would use a soft smooth cheese if I were to use smoked salmon. I find when I put Muzzarella or even provolone in a omelet it doesn't do as well as other cheese. 

7. jimyra

jimyra

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Cream cheese and salmon are a standard.  I would say yes.

8. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I used to think like this and now I honestly don't care. The omelette police won't come and arrest you. Once, when I was cooking breakfast at the four seasons hotel a woman ordered an omelette with strawberries in it. The smoked salmon sounds great and mozzeralla sounds like a nice addition. To compliment the smoke of the salmon add smoked mozzarella. Again let me emphasize the omelette police won't come and arrest you. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

If you are concerned about anything be more concerned about an improperly made omelette. That is a far greater travesty then odd combinations. 

9. berndy

berndy

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Omelette  confiture  is for most European Chefs an old but forgotten classic

10. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I'm not concerned about the omelet police, I am concerned about the flavor. I made it yesterday and I did not like it.

11. berndy

berndy

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    What did you make ?

12. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I made an omelete with smoked salmon, mozzarella, and scallions.  

13. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Just curious @Koukouvagia, was the mozzarella fresh or low moisture?

14. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    smoke is often a strong flavor--generally.  Mozzarella and eggs are milder flavors. I think you need something to stand up to the smoke more. Maybe caramelized onions, maybe dill/chives. Capers could do it too with some sour/salt impact.  And for a stronger cheese, something is a swiss/emmentaler/goutaler family would be more to my taste in this application, used with a light hand. 

15. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I usually adore mozzarella in my omelets.  And there were plenty of scallions in there.  Smoked salmon and mozzarella just didn't work for me.  I'm hesitant to try any cheese with it.

16. berndy

berndy

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    The best to go with smoked salmon is spinach . But this in only my opinion

17. jake t buds

jake t buds

Exp:
    Other
    The only dairy products listed in my flavor bible are cream cheese, butter, cream, creme faiche, marscapone, sour cream, and some say yogurt. Mozzarella isn't "creamy" enough. 

There are many many more combos, obviously, but pernod caught my eye. With asparagus? Rocket maybe? 

One "affinity" was smoked salmon with scrambled egg, chives, dill, potatoes. Many include lemon juice or zest. 

Another one included horseradish, cucumber, and mint with smoked salmon. Interesting. I'd actually try that as an omelette for sh*ts and giggles.  

I personally mix other stiffer cheeses when I use mozzarella for omelettes. As was suggested already, what about a stronger cheese as a supplement? Gouda perhaps?

Smokey ingredients need to be used sparingly, imo. They can overpower quickly. How much did you use? Was it crumbled up or in chunks?

18. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I'd vote Smoked Gouda in place of the Mozz.

Salmon would go nice I'd think with one of my omelette additive favs, sauteed summer squash and onion with coriander seed, maybe even use dill instead of coriander.

19. oregonyeti

oregonyeti

Exp:
    Home Cook
    That reminds me. I have some lox, ends and pieces, that I haven't finished yet. I will mix that lox in with some eggs and some parsley for eggs and lox. Both eggs and lox will be cooked only 'til the proteins just start firming up.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
  20. filo

filo

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    Of course you can!!
    I don't enjoy "cooked or warm" smoked salmon, anxovies, tinned tuna, etc