OMELETTE - New Style?

Joined Aug 4, 2000
Good morning. Today I made an omelette substituting buttermilk for regular milk. The omelette tasted richer, more buttery.

Joined Oct 10, 2005
No...not surprised. Been baking with buttermilk and know it contributes to richness and layers of flavour. Then again, never tried it in omelettes. I like making them, but they don't like my digestive system...

Joined Dec 30, 1999
Not suprised here. I'm with foodpump.

When I bake, I always look for recipes containing buttermilk which ensures moistness and simply a better product. So it makes sense with eggs as well.

Buttermilk is a good thing.

Joined Aug 8, 2006
I have made pancakes with milk and other recipes with buttermilk. Buttermilk by far is so much better. One question I have? I have used the powdered buttermilk where you add water. . .. this may be a dumb question, but is there a big difference with using that versus something that is not powdered?

Joined Jul 13, 2006
Hmm....I've never added milk into the omelettes I cook. This is new. What does it do to the omelette?

Joined Dec 7, 2005
According to Harold McGee (under scrambled eggs), milk/water/even oil added to eggs dilutes the protein and results in a tenderer product. I usually throw a bit of milk in mine, but the buttermilk idea is intriguing and I'll have to give it a try.

Praties

Joined Jan 23, 2005
I use what ever is available. Adding sour cream, yogurt, hvy cream, even herbed cream cheese thinned with water, they all add a tenderness to the scambled eggs or omelet, each adds a distinct layer to the taste. The more acidic the addition (sour cream, yogurt) the more tender.

12 yr old grandson considers the scramble with yogurt a gourmet item that only his grandma has to secret to. Oh, the power, the satisfaction of being so perfect in his eyes!

Latest posts

Top Bottom