Olives all'Asconala as a starter, not appetiser... any ideas?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by plasmatic, Apr 30, 2010.

1. plasmatic

plasmatic

Exp:
    Food Writer
    Hey all! I'm Katie, from the UK, new to the forums (obviously!) 

I'm doing a dinner party soon, and I want to serve my famous Olives all'Ascolana (where my Italian family lives). However, when I serve them as appetisers, people fill up on them and demanding more and the starter is then a waste. So I want to serve them in larger amounts as a starter, but I still think there should be something else on the plate alongside the olives. Obviously, I want it to be something that remains Italian and works well with the olives flavour-wise, but it doesn't have to be traditional stuff!

Any ideas would be gratefully received!

2. abefroman

abefroman

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Fried cheese.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
  3. plasmatic

plasmatic

Exp:
    Food Writer
     That's an idea, although I have at least one friend who refuses to eat cheeses other than Parmesan, Mozzarella and Haloumi /img/vbsmilies/smilies/rolleyes.gif  So maybe something for her separately...

4. gypsy2727

gypsy2727

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    An Arugula Salad along side or topping your olive dish ( depending on your presentation ) shaved parmaggiano over top maybe a few julienne sun -dried tomatoes  maybe a single shaving of proscuitto and a drizzle of balsamic and olive oil. Or are you serving a seperate salad course? Marinated Artichokes might be a nice addition as well as marinated white asparagus,grilled vegetables ,marinated once again

just some suggestions

Gypsy