Olive Oils; Which blends are best

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by dagger, Feb 21, 2005.

1. dagger

dagger

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    I use several Olive oils for my cooking. A light olive oil for frying meats & fish, Fairway Extra virgin for sauting vegetables, Greek olive oil called Kalamata extra virgin for adding to recipes and Fairway Organic Olive oil Puglia Italy, extra virgin Pugliese un-filtered, grassy artichokey for dipping bread and toast.
    I own a Foodsaver vacumm sealer and it comes with bottle stoppers that you can vacumm the air out of the bottles for storing. Is it needed to vacumm the air out of the Olive oil bottle to keep better or does it not matter? I heard light breaks down Olive oil but if this was true then why sell it in clear bottles not tinted like beer. I like using Fairway Organic Olive oil instead on butter on bagles with some bread dipping spices that comes 4 different blends to a jar. :chef:

2. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    How long does it take you to get through each bottle of oil? If you use it up fairly quickly, you probably don't have to bother with the vacuum process. If you've noticed an off-taste in the oil after a while, it might be worth trying, though.

3. dagger

dagger

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    the light and extra virgin are used every day but the other 2, greek & organic aren't used as much and do sit in the closet for a few months. I must say i like the organic olive oil on a bagle more than butter with a little dipping spice. :chef:

4. dagger

dagger

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    Today i was in Costco and bought a bottle of Kirkland Extra Virgin Olive oil Toscano from Tuscany (haevest 2004 maximum acidity %5 :confused: ) THis is the first i have seen that comes in a dark green tint bottle for what reason? Do you think it's just cause the bottle looks better or is it to keep light from the oil. No other Olive oil except for Carpillia top stuff comes in a dark tint bottle. :chef:

5. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Dagger, the dark color is meant to protect against light harming the product.

I also have a FoodSaver with a bottle stopper. I have yet to use it! (We don't drink that much wine and I just never thought about it once it was stored in the cupboard.) I suppose you could try it, but I lean toward Suzanne's advice: don't buy more than you can use in a couple of months. If you keep the oil in a dark place, well-stoppered, you should be okay for a few months longer. I stretch that timeline a bit and have never had the oil go rancid.