Olive Oil Foam?? help

Joined Jun 27, 2011
trying to make a olive oil foam, to be pumped through an isi gun, tried agar but it does not absorb, i tried gelatin sheets but the gelatin does not disinagrate in the oil even when brought up to 180F... i was wondering if anyone had any ideas to going about this foam

Joined Jun 14, 2002
Won't work with the ingredients you are using because you don't have an aqueous phase.

You could also try an 8% solution of mono/di- glycerides in your oil.

Last edited:
Joined Apr 2, 2007
Agree with Tin, you need glycerin flakes, you can get them from Texturas, I think they call them Glice.

Joined Jul 27, 2009
GMS, glycerol mono-stearate, will foam up most oils, melt in at around 90Celcuis and whip up

Sounds quite chemical but GMS is used as a milk substitute in cheaper ice cream or in sorbets as I thickener

Joined Jun 27, 2011
i have not tried lecithin, but i will give it a shot. when i get some GMS ill give it a shot and play around with the textures.

Question: Will it be able to pass through a isi gun or is this tequnique used with a hand blender?

Joined Oct 23, 2008
Not to derail but why would you create an olive oil foam? I could see infusing the oil with spices/herbs then creating a foam, but just straight up olive oil kind of leaves me scratching my head. Is it  just to alter the mouth-feel?

Joined Jun 14, 2002
Why? Why is but the form following the function of who, and who I am is a chef mad with hydrocolloids.

Joined Jun 27, 2011
tincook, you sound like a mad scientist i like it...and to create the foam it broadens the senses of the actual oil itself, initially you would only use the sense of taste with the oil, but in retro spec if it is in foam or even heated up a little, you add the sense of smell and touch with the texture you add to it..making cooking fun...i play with food its what i like to do....i passed on the foam by the way and went with straight olives, turned out really nice but thatnks for the insight

Joined Apr 3, 2010
You can buy olive oil mayonaise, which is darn close to this and without all the guess work and problems.

Latest posts

Top Bottom