Old Tabasco bottle unearthed.

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by peachcreek, Jun 30, 2002.

1. peachcreek

peachcreek

Exp:
    Retired Chef
  2. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Thanks Peachcreek,

Great idea for a thread...favorite hot sauces...Old or new

3. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    But, CC, some of them have names that are not fit for polite company! :eek: :D :rolleyes: :p :blush: ;)

4. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Maybe your right,but i'm not polite:p

A couple I have had are

Liquid stupid
    Colon Blow :eek:
    Satan's blood:(
    DOA cyanide:cool:

5. monkeymay

monkeymay

Are we talking booze or hot sauce?:lol:

6. mstevens

mstevens

I like Tapatio, cheap with good flavor, My all time fave tho has got to be Hoboken Eddies Mean Green, Roasted Jalapeno with lime juice and spices.

7. fodigger

fodigger

I like Scorned Woman. It is a Habenero based sauce w/ alot of flavor. Needless to say though, a little goes a long way.

8. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    There are way too many hot sauce names that I love (most should not be written about on a family oriented website:D ). But I must name one of my favorites-"Smack my *** and Call me Sally" hot sauce. For regular use though, I am a firm believer in Crystal hot sauce .

9. kimmie

kimmie

Brain Damage: a wickedly hot sauce that is similar to Orange Rush (mandarin orange base) but is much (much) hotter.

[​IMG]

10. risa

risa

Is Crystal hot sauce usually hotter than Tabasco (baseline since most people have had Tabasco at some point)? I haven't noticed Crystal at the grocery stores here, but I did try some in New Orleans. I ordered a poorboy and I used up a whole bottle (no exaggeration) of Crystal, but I couldn't taste any heat. I needed the hot sauce because I don't usually eat deep-fried stuff, but I had to have an oyster poorboy. Watered down bottle or is it a mild sauce?

I like sriracha and Melinda's Xtra Hot out of what's locally available for me.

11. georgeair

georgeair

Exp:
    Private Chef
    For a medium hot sauce you can actually use, Yucatan Sunshine is a super balance of veg. and fruit undertones with good heat as well. My SO can't open the bottle without taking a "finger-dab".

For really spicing up your life, try Capital Punishment. This is one of those 10/10ths sauces you use by the drop, but it is really neat flavor in chili, beans, soups, dips, etc. Also fun to give a drop to your BIL on a toothpick. He apparently was shocked by the hint of heat before it got on his tongue and inhaled quickly in shock. Think it went down his windpipe and we thought we might lose him for a while there. Oh well, better luck next time.....:rolleyes:

12. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    ah shoot! Heck, I got hot sauce more than 130 yrs old in the ice box. wicked sh-- is somethin new around here. It kicks ya right up front with wasabi then rips the skin off your mouth and lips with habenaro and reminds ya the next day with cayene. We dipped smoked shrimp and finished with a shot of 4 yr old tequilla. Course I might have everything bassackwards, can't remember.

13. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    Okay, while putting away the stuff we used for tonight's dinner, I took inventory of what's in the fridge (open) and in the closet (not yet in play). In no particular order:
    1. Inner Beauty Real Hot Sauce (both old and new versions)
    2. Trinidad Hot
    3. Trinidad Extra Hot
    4. Sontava
    5. Chef Allen's Mango Habanero Blasting Sauce (not really all that blasting)
    6. Lingham's Chilli Sauce
    7. Perks Peri Peri Lemon Blast
    8. Perks Peri Peri African Heat
    9. Sriracha
    10. House of Tsang Saigon Sizzle
    11. Tabasco
    12. Tabasco Jalapeno
    13. Jamaica **** Fire Doc's Special
    14. Jamaica **** Fire Hot Sauce 2 in 1
    15. Batten Island Hot
    16. Star Pepper Sauce/Sauce Piquante
    17. Cholula
    18. Tropical Pepper Co. Xtra Hot Habanero Sauce
    19. Red River Chile Co. Mountain Fire
    20. Uncle Billy's Wild Blu Yonder Wild Blueberry Hot Sauce (from Maine)
    21. Ashanti Extra Hot Sauce
    22. Hot Horse Estate Grown Chili Pepper Sauce
    23. Lee Kum Kee Chili Garlic Sauce
    24. Dal Raccolto Italian Red Chili Pepper Sauce
    25. Outerbridge's Original Pepper Sauce
    26. homemade Salsa Verde made with jalapenos and serranos
    27. and some chipotle paste, and 3 version of Thai curry paste, and Tommy Tang Thai Panang Curry Paste, but I don't really count these since they're ingredients, not condiments.[/list=1]

Should I be embarrassed? I didn't even include the Old El Paso Salsa, Ortega Taco Sauce, or Desert Pepper Salsa del Rio (salsa verde) because these just aren't hot.

14. kimmie

kimmie

Suzanne,

I never thought of the fridge! :D I just found my favorite Walkerswood products from the Caribbean:

1) Scotch Bonnet Pepper Sauce
    2) Escoveitch Pickle Sauce
    3) Jonkanoo Hot Pepper Sauce
    4) Walkerswood's Traditional Jerk Seasoning

along with the homemade pineapple-habanero kick-*** hot salsa :eek:

15. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Risa, to answer your question, I find Crystal Hot Sauce to be a little less hot than tabasco, but I also find it a little less pungnent than tabasco also, which means that you can use it in more delicate items where you want some heat but not all that vinegar flavor, IMHO.

I usually keep a few types of hot sauce around, including some really hot stuff I made and canned about 1 1/2 years ago. It is loosely based on a recipe that is similar to Dave's Insanity Sauce, and contains carrots, bell peppers, habaneros, mustard, onion and mango, all cooked and pureed. This stuff will light you on fire twice, if you know what I mean!!!

16. georgeair

georgeair

Exp:
    Private Chef
    Or as a hot-wing eating friend used to say - "FIRE IN THE HOLE!":eek:

We finally discovered that homemade ice cream was good at preventing this.....