Old Style Pastrami

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by kuan, Dec 14, 2015.

1. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Has anyone noticed that Pastrami has become lean over the last 10 years or so?  I miss the soft fatty part which used to make up a good pastrami sandwich.

Either that or people in the middle of the US are a bit too health conscious.

2. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    KUAN       That's because it s not the real plate pastrami that was made yers ago. The stuff today like fake turkey breast is either pressed and formed or made from a bottom round  It is really chopped pastrami. .Even the old fashioned Jewish style pastrami has changed.

kuan likes this.
  3. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    When I can't fly 3000 miles for a Pastrami sandwich at Katz's.

I go over to the Oregon coast to see my buddy Chefbuba.

I agree, I don't see the Pastrami's of yesteryear! I remember buying a flat brisket with a peppered fat cap for my food service. It was great for the deli sands. It's wasn't so great on cleaning the slicer after slicing. The pastrami's I see now are made with top round, not real good.

kuan, mikey--m and phaedrus like this.
  4. chefbuba

chefbuba

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    This is what I use, Real Pastrami from the plate (navel) has a nice fat to lean ratio.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
  5. neworleanscookj

neworleanscookj

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Can't speak much to pastrami perse, last place I was at trimmed all of the fat cap off of the brisket for our corned beef. Seemed like a waste as most of the seasoning absorbs there, probably could have been repurposed in some way for a good Ruben

6. jimyra

jimyra

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I make my own pastrami from brisket.  I trim some of the fat before brining.  I use the fat by rendering it in a low slow oven into a lard type fat and use it for cooking and basting.

7. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    It's criminal what they've done to Pastrami.  

8. kuan

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Is that really Chefbuba's pastrami?

9. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Kuan, Thats Chefbubas Pastrami on a Amoroso roll. He knows I'm a sucker for Pastrami....They are good too!

10. chefbuba

chefbuba

Exp:
    Retired Chef
  11. kuan

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    O... M... G...

12. chefbuba

chefbuba

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Lots of black pepper, coriander, mustard seed, real smoke.

kuan likes this.
  13. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I definitely have pastrami on my to do list, probably in the early spring when the weather is a bit nicer. We got a huge storm today. May have to rethink smoking the piece of pork loin I cured for Canadian bacon [ brunch entry ]

mjb.

14. jake t buds

jake t buds

Exp:
    Other
    I think pastrami is overrated. 

I recently had some at the supposed best deli in Portland. Yuck. Stringy, chewy, fatty, and mostly flavorless. I had to swallow pieces whole for fear of having to yank out large chunks of half chewed meat out of my mouth at the table. That's even if I could actually bite a mouthful off without pulling the whole sandwich apart.  

Don't even get me started with corned beef. Ugh. 

15. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Chefbuba, We just got done decorating the tree for christmas. 

16. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    /img/vbsmilies/smilies/lol.gif   /img/vbsmilies/smilies/lol.gif   /img/vbsmilies/smilies/lol.gif   /img/vbsmilies/smilies/drinkbeer.gif

17. chefbuba

chefbuba

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Looks like the chickens are standing around waiting for something to drip or fall from the tree!  Also, have Molly show you how to take a picture without your finger in front of the lens.

What are you doing with the heads? You should try some head cheese or watch this guy, he has some great videos.

18. phaedrus

phaedrus

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    When I make it I like to make a sammich with about 75% meat from the flat and the rest from the deckle.  It can get a little bit too greasy for my taste otherwise.

19. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    To much work cleaning it. We give it away the Mexicans love it........

20. everydaygourmet

everydaygourmet

Exp:
    Chef/Owner/Operator
    Chef Bubba, you posted a commercial product, do you doctor it or make it from scratch? Completely agree with using the plate cut as a proper Pastrami. Seen restaurant's using peppered smoked brisket. Been scarce as of late as we've bought a business and have really delved into charcuterie and seacuterie. One of our specialties is an air dried pastrami that from all I've been able to find, no one has done before. As on homage to the home of pastrami (NY,NY) we call it "U235" "The New Manhattan Project".