old friends

Discussion in 'Cooking Equipment Reviews' started by porkchopboy, Jul 9, 2003.

1. porkchopboy

porkchopboy

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    does anyone get emotionaly attached to their equipment? well i surely thought i was above that until today. today was the day when we had to vacate the space where my former restaurant was. i wasn't affected as the stainless worktables, dining chairs and even the nice hobart dishmachine were being loaded into the truck that would take them to an auction. but when i saw the brutes moving my(for 4 years) 6 burner Wolf range with convection oven imported from the US, i kind of got all choked up, i spent so much time in front of that hunk of well made metal. i had to get up and help them move it into the truck and wave goodbye not knowing if i will ever see it again. now i just look back and smell all of the wonderful dishes prepared on it and dream of my next adventures in front of the stove.

2. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    It's scary what inanimate objects we get attached to. For me it is my little paring knife, my Benriner mandolin (I about cried when I had to replace my old one), or one of my pair of work shoes (they are trashed but I refuse to get rid of them). Just the other day, one of my puppies shredded one of my old T-shirts. It was one of my favorites (full of holes and the wife threatening to throw it out) and I was bummed for much longer than I should have been!!

3. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    My oldest friend is my grandmother's breadboard. I have also hung onto a hideous orange plastic colander, which was one of the first kitchen items I bought when I set up housekeeping for myself after college.

What's next for you, porkchopboy?

4. porkchopboy

porkchopboy

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    my wife and i are trying to develop an at-home business targeting independent coffee shops and small "organic" markets in the area. we are just a little (alot) inexperienced in the marketing end of the business.