Chef Forum banner

Old faithfuls

2K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  chefhogan 
#1 ·
Brie's top 10 equipment query got me thinking about "old faithful" meals. We probably all have them. Meals you KNOW your kids and/or spouse will eat without complaining, meals you whip up whenever you're pressed for time or out of energy, etc.

What are your faithful standby meals or dishes?

#5 ·
-Choucroute (throw it together in minutes if neccessary and let it simmer away for hours in a low oven)
-Burgers on the grill
-Any pasta (preferably gnocchi) with fresh tomatoes, fresh basil, garlic and a touch of cream
-Cheese, Hungarian Sausages, and raw veggies along with crackers (yes they make a great meal)

#6 ·
I don't have a spouse or kids to please at home, but there is one thing that I make and absolutely love.

I spend an afternoon or such making sausage gravy. For the times I'm in a hurry I have a can of the ready-to-go biscuits, and if I have a little more time I'll make some.

#8 ·
I guess it's my turn. At home, it's just my husband and me, so this applies to dinner in our case. We do our own thing for breakfasts and lunches.

Chicken or turkey (boneless/skinless) marinated in either "Greekish" or "Asian-ish" mixtures. Greekish = lemon, olive oil, pepper, basil and/or oregano, GARLIC. Asian-ish= soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, garlic, ginger, maybe 5 spice powder, pepper

Often, the above made into kebabs and grilled with bell peppers onions and mushrooms.

Turkey bratwurst or Italian sausage

Steak- liberally seasoned with garlic, herbes de provence and pepper- sometimes the "Asian-ish" marinade if I have time

I'm the only fish-eater in our house, so that's not a meal I can count.

All with some veggie (preferrably fresh). My husband will eat a limited menu of veg, so it's either asparagus, zucchini, broccoli, winter squash, spinach or green beans. I just sneaked kohlrabi on the table this week, and he ate it, so there's one more! :D

#9 ·
I forgot one really simple one we eat a lot in the summer:
Boneless chicken breast marinated in store-bought Italian dressing, then grilled and served over a salad (a totally mindless dinner for when we are too tired to cook after a long day at work).

#10 ·
Quick and easy huh ? Well lets see , How about some pork chops
in a casserole dish seasoned with salt and pepper and then covered with a can of Campbells cream of mushroom soup and then placed in the oven for a little over 2 hours . Salad , white rice and veg to compliment . This can easily be set up a day ahead so that the kids can throw it in the oven if your not home yet . My other option for my teenage sons is to point at a loaf of bread and tell them to make a wish sandwich . Take out 2 pieces of bread and wish you had something to put between it !;)

#13 ·
Lamb stew with artichoke hearts, chickpeas, and potatoes (Greek-ish seasonings), served over orzo.

Fish -- any kind -- cooked in the cast iron grill pan, served with boiled potatoes and steamed spinach or swiss chard.

Indian or Thai curry of anything -- whatever protein, cubed, plus whatever vegetable(s), served with basmati or jasmine rice.

Macaroni and cheese, with some kind of protein (salmon croquettes; sausages; etc) on the side.

#17 ·
hmmmm.....
Hamburgers
taco salad
brats/andoille
BBQ
BACON
Waffles/pancakes
one likes rice the other likes potatoes....come on
my oldest is requesting curries these days....go figure
my middle guy is big into BBQ
For me I cook beets right after the market and have them in the fridge....so sliced with chevre and a viniagrette throw in greens and I'm a happy camper.....I also roast a chicken and hack on it until it's gone. Artisinal bread is usually around....pumpernickle and walnut fougasse recently...again I wedge um and melt cheese on um.
This is trully sad, but mac and cheese from the blue box is still a fav....how did it ever get started???!!!!!More like how does it perpetuate itself?

#19 ·
Absolutely shrooms for me...my children are another story....
I talked to a few today about it ALMOST being chanterelle season...we need some more heat before they pop. My favorite thing to eat is fingerling potatoes sauteed with chanterelles and tarragon....light olive oil...alittle sea salt.....narvana.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.