Old chicken parts

Joined Apr 28, 2009
I have an ongoing problem at home where thawed food gets lost in the fridge because others just push stuff in at the front.

I thawed several packages of chicken legs for a recipe about a week ago and repackaged from their cryo-pack from the wholesaler because I nicked the edges when separating the portion bags from the master and I was not ready to cook yet.

Found the package yesterday. Opened it expecting a funky smell and found none. No smell, no slime, looked pristine, except for the bloody fluid. (When I vacuum seal or simply repackage food, I make sure I do it right because i believe something thawed, will only be as good as it was when packaged)

My wife who throws out anything past the "best by" date, no matter what it is; canned, dry goods, vacuum sealed, anything, refuses to eat these legs now.

I told her cooking them to a temperature of 160+ would kill all bacteria, if any (a smell would have confirmed a bacteria presence and they'd be introduced to the trash without hesitation).

Now, if this was just a few, I would toss them just to satisfy her but this is a lot and we throw out enough perfectly good food as it is (due to her silly belief)

I said I would check with professionals so, what say you?

Joined Jul 13, 2012
Chicken is one of the most fragile proteins next to fish. In my experience even the "sell by" date can be too late.

Joined Sep 17, 2018
Just put a stopper in your sink and fill it up. Add a cap full of bleach and soak the chicken. You can rinse the chicken before cooking if the bleach smell bothers you but if you get the lemon scented you won't have to.

Joined Mar 1, 2017
Never take any chances with poultry. Throw it out. Fortunately, chicken legs and thighs are still relatively cheap. I can buy a 5+lb bag of chicken thighs and legs for $.79/lb.

Joined Apr 28, 2009
Well then, as much as I hate to give into the wife(who doesn't cook anything), the pros have spoken and the legs will be introduced to the trash.
Btw; I always thought that an off smell would be a clear sign of danger. Now I know better. Thanks cheflayne and chefross.
Thanks everyone for your time today.
Red.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
IME an "off smell" is a sign of an "off taste". If it's past prime well . . .

As for lemon bleach my soaker stones live in a lemon bleach/water bath and the water still smells like bleach.

Joined Apr 3, 2008
Just put a stopper in your sink and fill it up. Add a cap full of bleach and soak the chicken. You can rinse the chicken before cooking if the bleach smell bothers you but if you get the lemon scented you won't have to.
This is the most absurd thing I’ve ever heard. Please tell me you don’t do this to food.

Latest posts

Top Bottom