Chef Forum banner

OK to Freeze Raw Turkey Burgers Made With Olive Oil?

3K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  sgsvirgil 
#1 ·
I add olive oil to the ground turkey when making turkey burgers - it helps keep them moist. I would like to make a batch to freeze and grill later. Is freezing going to be a problem because the mixture contains olive oil?

#2 ·
Typically, no. You can freeze the turkey burgers and as the burgers are thawed out, the oil should return to its original state.

However, the problem with using olive oil for this is when you go to grill the turkey burgers. Unless you are using light, extra virgin oil, olive oil generally has a low smoke point, which is not good for your food or for your health. Light, EVOO has a higher smoke point and is typically better for grilling.

The next time you make the burgers, use clarified butter instead of oil. You can also use avocado oil. Both keep longer at room temp, in the fridge and in the freezer and both have very high smoke points.

Good luck. :)

#3 ·
Thanks for the info. I can easily replace the olive oil with avocado oil, or even the clarified butter, just to try something different. I typically use avocado oil for high heat situations, anyway. The extra virgin olive oil I was planning on using is from California Olive Ranch. Their website states that their extra virgin olive oil is of higher quality and freshness, which yields a 425 degree smoke point. I was concerned there might be an unintended consequence of freezing the ground turkey-oil mixture, so I appreciate the help.

#5 ·
Coconut oil is your best bet, high in HDL and burn rate is as high as 350f, butter will burn your meat and char will taste bad, only good for basting meats, as said by KC37,olive oil has a low burn point, really you should only consume olive oil in all its entirety as it comes from the bottle, its not for cooking, just for salads and breads raw, you have changed the taste of a beautifully made oil, like putting sugar in a bottle of fine merlot. hope this helps

#9 ·
Hi kc27,

Since others have addressed the cooking properties of oils, I'll offer opinion on the food safety of "is it OK to do this?". As long as your handling of the raw ground turkey does not create a biohazard situation there shouldn't be a problem. Adding any oil would probably inhibit bacterial growth rather than encourage it.

The oil might find it's way out of the mixture, depending on the time in the freezer and other components of the mix, but that won't get anyone sick either.

As for making Turkey burgers moist, I add 5-8%, by volume of applesauce to help with Ground Turkey moistness.

Hope you find the answers you are looking for!

#11 ·
I completely understand what makes a good merlot good, but, I never developed a taste for them. I've put merlot on many wine lists for clients who have hired me to consult on their wine lists or stock their cellars. I just did a wine list for a friend last month where I included two very nice merlots (so they told me).

As for the olive oil, we are just going to have to agree to disagree. I'm too old and retired to start rethinking the way I use olive oil. :)

If you want to talk wine, let me know. I love to talk wine. Not too many folks like to talk wine on this forum for some reason.

Cheers!

#12 ·
I completely understand what makes a good merlot good, but, I never developed a taste for them. I've put merlot on many wine lists for clients who have hired me to consult on their wine lists or stock their cellars. I just did a wine list for a friend last month where I included two very nice merlots (so they told me).

As for the olive oil, we are just going to have to agree to disagree. I'm too old and retired to start rethinking the way I use olive oil. :)

If you want to talk wine, let me know. I love to talk wine. Not too many folks like to talk wine on this forum for some reason.

Cheers!
Hi sgsvirgil, Would love to talk about wine, i drink soooo much of it hehe, my family drink red wine daily from around the world, our doctors are amazed we have no health problems, grand father 98 and still running around, but sips pure olive oil daily, still has a full head of hair, i know the olive oil subject is very diverse now, most derivatives like pomace are second pressings but mixed with sometimes carcinogenic oils, we dont trust these oils, even the labels wont tell you.
Look forward to speaking again on wines, take care and enjoy you retirement with your

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.