OK ready to play.?....Greeko-Amigo and other food combos

Joined Aug 11, 2000
After reading the Restaurant Rave thread with Greeko Amigo restaurant listed I thought HEY! what a wonderful way to have gross fun with different ethnic combos.....

OK here's how we play....Greeko-Amigo
both have flat breads (pita and tortilla)
both have garlic and oregano
so what weird combos can you make with this
restaurant? guacamole with cucumbers and yogurt, Flaming queso, Margaritas with ouzo!!!

Joined Aug 29, 2000
Wouldn't know how to name it, but everyone has a stuffed leaf of some kind (cabbage, grape vine, etc.) in a sauce, often with rice in the stuffing.

Joined Aug 23, 2000
How about: The Red Herring

Russian/British, with a menu heavy on little fish from tins.

First, a nice cuppa tea... with jam stirred in tableside

Featured dishes:
Vegetable marrow borscht
Kippers and kasha
Blintzes filled with marmite
Sturgeon and kidney pie

and of course ice-cold vodka washed down with warm Guinness...

Well that exercise should save me a few dollars on lunch today, I don't think I'll be hungry for a while...

Joined Aug 11, 2000
Well Crudeau....cilantro comes to mind as does some chili heat. HMMMMMM

Mu shu carnitas with mole sauce
spring roll/burritos
Hot and Sour tortilla soup
Refried black beans with pork and green beans
BBQ buns with goat filling
Ceviche with rice vinegar

Joined Jul 18, 2000
ive been playing around with with a Chinese/mod Aus/Mod European and then some ideas for a while, vis a vis:

Steamed BBQ wallaby buns
Yabby mousse on a lemon myrtle blini
Smoked crocodile salad with sun dried tomatoes and a thyme and rosemary infused dressing
Steamed fillet of barramundi on a stir fry of asian vegetables and thin egg noodles
Confit of duck with soy and sesame dressing on wilted bok choy and a rosti of sweet potato

Et al.

[This message has been edited by Nick.Shu (edited 12-16-2000).]

Joined Aug 11, 2000
Nick shu I can never tell when you are serious and when you are playing.....are these things for real? I think you seriously play alot.

Cuban Jewish...hmmmmmmm
Banana leaf covered salmon
Black bean falafal
Mojito with mogan david

Northern African and Mexican?

Joined Oct 6, 2001
Sorry to tell you guys that the Mexican Chinese thing is totally done down here! San Antonio: 64% of the restaurants are Mexican/Tex-Mex. Then you have a whole slew of Chinese-Mexican restaurants (Tink-a-Taco or Wok-a-mole, anyone?) My favourite is the one down the street called Maverick: specializing in Chinese, Mexican and Seafood!

Combinations: not as creative as 'Shroomgirls but not uncommon to get Lemon Chicken with Spanish Rice and Refried Beans. Spring Rolls and Puffy Tacos. Food wise I understand how you can put the two together (similar ingredients), but... Oh, yes, if you go to a straight Chinese restaurant with a buffet, you very often find tortillas on the buffet -

Then you get the German-Mexican influence - I think I told you about the Kielbasa burritos with refrieds and sauerkraut? What is that Deutsch-Mex?

Joined Aug 11, 2000
Oh Lynne....:LOL: so what would we call it not bubble and squeek ....sounds trully explosive...sour kraut and refrieds
OPEN the windows and doors.

Joined Oct 12, 1999
Let's see...... Northern African/Mexican:

Grilled-Smoked Chicken with spicy Peanut-Comino Glaze.

Garlic and Chili Pepper Marinated Snapper with Cilantro-Mint-Cabbage Slaw and Corn Tortillas

Spicy-Stewed Shrimp and Okra with Corn and Fideo.

Lemon and Lime Tequila-Mint Pie

Joined Oct 12, 1999
Opps! I guess I was half-asleep when i read the question for the types of post you wanted....sorry I thought we were going for "delicious" combinations ( i didn't notice the word gross)...I'll make sure to drink some coffee before I get up out of bed and start posting next time!

Joined Jul 18, 2000
heheh, shroomgirl, ive done these things and i know they work. believe me, aussies arent the first to eat "jumpy things", probably just the first to eat "jumpy marsupials".

heheheh

Joined Jul 18, 2000
ah yes, if you want a truly spectacular asian style sauce for seafood, i urge you to source some "XO sauce" - the best, has: ground dried shrimp, ground dried scallops, chilli, garlic, etc.

Trust me, its a king amongst sauces for seafoods - try it, its a experience.

Joined Aug 11, 2000
They all look so cute on the National Geographic shows...kanga for dinner...what about her joey? (Don't go with the deep fried or skewered hairless baby kangas Nick that is really gross)

OOOOO Cajun/Japanese...Tuna creole
Raw crawfish sashimi with fat on top
Miso Turtle soup
Teriyaki alligator
Etouffee of eel with sushi rice
Azuki and andouillle
Red beans over ice
Red fish sushi
Blue crab tempura with (no that sounds good)
Tempura muffalata now that's gross

Joined Aug 12, 2000
How about a Pan-World dumpling shop? Besides Dim Sum, there would be pierogies&stuffed cabbage, raviolis of all shapes, sizes, and fillings, steamed things, boiled things, fried things-the list is endless. And I want the first one to open in my neighborhood, so I can take out all the time.

Joined Jul 18, 2000
only just recently, roo meat has been approved for human consumption. It is a very lean meat with a distinctive flavor very much like a dark red meat like buffalo.

Roo meat is actually quite nice and i dont know why it was pet food for so long.

Emu is another native meat which is quite nice and unusual by the same token. Emu has to be the first bird meat that is darker than beef.

Joined Jul 18, 2000
ok now im not going to restrict myself - "all in": how bout - hoisin glazed roasted pigeon on thin egg noodle,garlic and leek rosti with caramelised onions and game stock reduction.

ill post some other stuff later.

Joined Aug 23, 2000
Katherine: Been to a place like that in Boston near Chinatown... called Noodles or something unassuming like that... darn fine place.

Top Bottom