OK ... I'M HAPPY!!!

Discussion in 'The Late Night Cafe (off-topic)' started by iceman, Jun 28, 2012.

1. iceman

iceman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    YIPEEE!!!!!

I just got a call-back for a TV show audition. I'm happy. 

2. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Very cool!!! What show?

3. iceman

iceman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    New show, major regular network ABC.  Hosted by Nigella Lawson and Anthony Bourdain.  I kinda feel a little stupid, but I don't know the name. 

I'm happy!!!

4. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    right on iceman!...two of my favorites...bet they'll be a fun team.....what's your role in all this? where do you fit in? 

off topic, but can you walk me through how you send a video to CT? i received it as an email and saved it to my desktop...that's as far as i've gotten....it's media player if that makes any difference...thanks ice, and congrats...you're not gonna start getting all bigheaded around here are you?.....

joey

Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
  5. gonefishin

gonefishin

Exp:
    At home cook
    congrats ICEMAN!  I'll keep my fingers crossed/img/vbsmilies/smilies/bounce.gif

6. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Sooooo…

More details please

7. iceman

iceman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    LOL. I aint'e got no details.      I applied.  They liked my application.  I got a call ... had a chat ... it was nice ... I was then asked to come in and audition.    I'm happy.    I've got to make a "WOW" dish, that can be plated/presented in 3-minutes and then consumed in 1-bite, and then whatever else they want me to do.      Anything else ... I don't know.           I'M HAPPY!!!

8. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    Iceman,

In the Ebay knife thread you posted this , and I was just wondering how it went ? Petals.

By-the-way ... I got a call-back for a TV show audition.

9. iceman

iceman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    It's coming up next Saturday.      I'll let you know when it happens. 

10. stipcarters

stipcarters

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Good luck man!

11. mikelm

mikelm

Exp:
    Home Chef
    Iceman-

When you're featured on the small screen,be SURE and let us know the broadcast time and channel.  I watch Bourdain on the Travel Channel; didn't know he was on ABC which I never watch.

(I'm a Fox News guy.) /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif

Mike

12. iceman

iceman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    LOL.    Trust me ... if I make it to the TV show ... EVERYONE will know about it. 

Thank you all for caring. 

Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
  13. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    /img/vbsmilies/smilies/lol.gif

14. iceman

iceman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    OK. So I gotta make them a "WOW" dish. At first that didn't give me any problem, because I've got lot's of "WOW" dishes. Hey, that's what I do. That was right up until I read the directions/requirements/regulations/fine print. Yeah, reading is fundamental. It's gotta be "1-bite", basically an amuse-bouche. OK then, no big deal, I'm cool, I've done those. I had to shift gears. Whereas my first idea was a small thing, not everyone can do them in 1-bite. I don't expect to be auditioning in front of slobs. If you're gonna ask, my first choice was a "trio of sliders"  (steak sammich, chx salad sammich and lobster-roll) w/ a "glob'o'salad" (cole slaw, potato salad, mac salad) to go with each one. Anyway ... that's out. 

New plan. I make a really good "spring-roll". Really, I do, it's very good, Asian people have said so. My original roll has got lots of stuff. It's the size of a regular dinner egg-roll. I don't make it 1-bite size usually, but I've been working on it since Thursday and I think I've got it down. As long as I don't have to do it in front of them, because it just aint'e gonna happen in the 3-minutes they said I've got to plate. I'm prepping in a special pita way for this, making each and every part the exact same size. It will be large sushi size. I'm trying to get it to 5cm/2in long x 3cm/1in dia. I will cut it on the diagonal with one piece laying down and the other standing on end. I'm gonna serve it on a plate w/ two(2) sauces in a ying-yang design and a slice of grilled lemon. I hope it works. 

**  I forgot this.    I don't have much dry-ice experience for something like this. I gotta get it +/- 1-hour from point A to point B; stand around for a while; have my food cold but not frozen. I could use some discussion here on this idea. TIA for the help. 

Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  15. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    As I am not a Pro as others here at CT, Iceman, please be assured that I will be there in spirit

as your personal cheer leader, pompoms and all!  GO MAN, GO!!

In all seriousness though, truly, I will be rooting you on, Saturday, what time, about noon-ish PST? 

16. iceman

iceman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I'm not sure when will be "My" time, but the ordeal is scheduled from 10:00 - 4:00 cdt. 

I've also got an attire quandary.    Do I wear regular people clothes or chef clothes? 

17. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    My advice? Wear nice "people clothes" but have your whites with you (or whatever you wear while on the job)

18. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Agreed!  Look as personable, charming, and debonair as we know you are!  (take a hint from the gals, dress shields!  /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif)  

19. iceman

iceman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    OK. That's what I was thinking.    I'll dress standard "Joe Cool", because that's me, and I'll have a bag with my work clothes to go with if it looks like the better way to go.    Thanks.    

[​IMG][​IMG]

20. iceman

iceman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    OK. It's 3:30 ... my kitchen is a wreck ... my wife is miffed ... and I'm dead tired.   BFD.   In a coupla-3 hours I'm gonna get up, pack up, and get on my way. I made my batch of spring rolls. They're bigger than I would optimally like, but so what. I'm gonna hit'em with the best "bite-sized" thing I got. I think. LOL. I'm broke, I've got no car insurance and my electric is going off on Monday. Dammitt still ... I'm coming home with a TV show tomorrow.    Good-nite everyone. I'll seeye' when I seeya'.