ok i think i might have all the knives i need now

Joined Feb 2, 2015
Very nice collection! How's the 180 masamoto santoku holding up?

P.s. sorry to rise this thread from the dead :)

Joined Nov 15, 2012

You prefer the suji to the gyuto?

Why?
I use a suji/slicer primarily myself.  I have a 10" chefs I use for rough cutting carrots, beets, swede and the like, and dicing onions.  I do a lot of fine-slicing vegetables in-hand, Charcuterie too, and you can't beat a suji for this, though a Usuba would be interesting also, but a righty might find himself needing a lefty usuba for this as cutting in-hand typically calls for the right blade face resting on the item being cut.  Slicing sub-1mm wafers from things like celery and broccoli stems is much easier with a suji also, better control compared to the tall bladed chefs/gyotu.  And I much prefer the exceedingly nimble feel of a suji.

Rick

Joined Jan 8, 2015
Love my Suji, but my chef's knife is pretty meh, I figure eventually i'll get a nice chef's knife, until then using my Suji for slicing and a Nakiri for cutting.

Last edited:

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
How are they sticking to the wood?  Is there a magnet behind?

Joined Jul 13, 2012
Funny I divested my self of most of my "high end" knives recently.  I probably recouped about $4k this past month - what a load off.  I have a core rotation of my favorites and I add a refurbished piece of ODC from my stash every now and when I can work in my shop.  

Top Bottom